or Connect

Posts by theatermom

First off, hugs. It can be frustrating. The thing is, I don't think it's anything you've done, or anything wrong with your daughter. It's a matter of personality, really. Some children (my gifted oldest among them) are adult oriented by nature, and add to this being an extrovert, and you have a mix that can frustrate any introverted parent. I like the description of extrovert/introvert that Mary Sheedy uses in The Spirited Child. She describes E/I as different ways of...
Charlotte is her doll.
Quote: Originally Posted by vbactivist No, they didn't. But they all bathed in the same night, one right after the other, cleanest to dirtiest. They may have topped it off a bit, with warmer water, but they certainly didn't change it. Water took firewood, and firewood was a precious commodity. not to mention the hauling of the water./ Actually, I have the book in front of me , and it reads: "Laura was bathed first, because she was littler...
I would definitely be upset about it, and see this as a boundary issue. No one should cut another person's hair without explicit permission from that person or his/her primary caregiver. Period. Assuming that they won't mind isn't good enough. I would definitely talk to your parents (probably without Dh until he has cooled off) about boundaries/etc. I *am* concerned a bit about the idea of "punishing" grandparents. I feel like your Dh may be using this particular...
I'm always sincerely amazed at how many people think that one has to accept the misplaced extravagances of others. If they were *sharing* the cakes with you instead of just dropping them off on you, I would think that it would be best to just ride the wave and use the opportunity to talk with your children about over-consumption. As it is, they're not giving the cake in a spirit of sharing, but rather as part of a larger cycle of over giving. Yes, there is such a thing as...
Maybe I'm a horrible cynic (it's possible, I'll admit), but it has been my experience that the vast majority of strangers asking annoying/prying/child-related questions and passing out their personal takes on life are not doing it out of a sense of community and connectedness. They're bored, or nosey, or wanting to feel as if they've done a "good" deed, or wanting a chance to feel superior. I can totally see someone from a state with strong sun looking for a chance to show...
Why is this annoying? It's annoying because it's presumptuous. I see no difference between asking "Is your baby wearing sunblock?" and "Did you feed your baby?" Or "Did you change his/her diaper?" or whatever. If a stranger in a candy store came up and asked you if you brushed your child's teeth after giving him/her candy, that would be annoying, yes? I don't think it's helpful to go around assuming that every parent a) is an uninformed idiot who needs...
Frankly, if *you* don't want to go, don't go. Your dh will be there to represent your family, and it's not like you're abandoning him with people he doesn't know. It's not likely, either, that his family will be unduly hurt or put out by your absence (though if you think they will be, you'll have to take that into consideration) -- most couples tend to be a bit self involved on their wedding day . You'll need to talk with your dh and determine whether he will be unduly...
Have you tried actively listening to your SIL when she talks about her child? I say this without an ounce of snarkiness, as this is a path I am taking myself down. In the past, I haven't truly practiced meeting a person where s/he is, and I have many regrets where this is concerned. Sure, it can become boring to listen to someone brag, but since this is your SIL, and your niece/nephew, there is potentially much to be gained by being there to validate her feelings and truly...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bramble I also wanted to add that my nephew is embarrassed by this and doesn't like it. His mom makes him because she doesn't think it's safe for him to go into a public men's room by himself. In that case, I would argue that your sister needs to find times/places that she is comfortable letting him use the men's room on his own. This is more about his level of freedom/development than it is about propriety. As...