or Connect

Posts by kungfu_barbi

a couple observations: Quote: Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 SHE knows it's wrong but she wants to see what will happen... i'm just not sure that this assessment is accurate. does a sixteen month old really have the cognitve ability to "test" her parents like that? i don't think so. it just seems to me like you are possibly assigning adult-type meaning and intent to her actions...and then you are reacting to that. if you shifted...
Quote: Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo ...I'm still trying to sort through exactly what are all the nuances of difference between punishments, rewards, consequences, results, etc. It's not necessarily always perfectly clear-cut, ... i think you just described the *journey* of parenting. to some degree, it's something each family needs to work out for themselves. and just when you think you have it nailed down, your kid has a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Deva33mommy I told ds this past weekend that if he didn't let me put sunscreen on him, that we weren't going to the beach. I would have stayed home and played with him. It certainly wasn't intended to make him unhappy or pay for his decisions, yk? It just was the way it was. fwiw, your use of sunscreen and bike helmets doesn't sound punitive to me, but what strikes me about your post is that you would have been...
i don't see a 'hug' icon, so i have to do it the old-fashioned way: ((Jokerama)). you sound weary. parenting two can be challenging - give yourself some grace. you won't be able to do it perfectly, no one can. i hope you get the help, support and encouragement that you need so that you can 'back up the train' - if that's what you want to do. your post is so well-written. i hear you saying that you have taken the first steps down the slippery slope of...
Quote: Originally Posted by griffin2004 Maybe "results" is a better word than "rewards"? Or "cause and effect"? the word reward has lots of connotations. i like your use of the word 'result' in your example, rather than reward. another word in that category might be 'pay-off.' i am a word person. isn't it interesting how we can all be using the same words - 'reward' or 'punishment' - and each mean something subtlely different? it's a...
Quote: Originally Posted by griffin2004 I appreciate my accomplishments at my job, but 95% of what gets me there is the reward => paycheck... fascinating. your post made me think. i love to think. i don't think a paycheck is a reward (or a gift); a paycheck is earned (it's wages). if i didn't get a paycheck, i wouldn't be an employee; i'd be a 'volunteer.' i don't know how that translates into parenting though. peace
Quote: Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 We have carpet, but a lot of ceramic tile too. I use a Swivel Sweeper a couple times a day in the kitchen. The rest gets vacuumed once or twice a week. i use area rugs by the doors to help with some of the dirt, and we have two dogs to eliminate crumbs and spills. peace
my senior dog was diagnosed with low thyroid. he is taking soloxine. from the vet it costs 34 cents a pill. it looks like an on-line pharmacy sells it for 17cents a pill for the same does. is this a good deal? are there hidden costs? is there anything i should be aware of before i order? thanks for any suggestions or advice. peace
Quote: Originally Posted by dubfam ...and I think a lot of what we do is CL. . at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is CL? could someone please enlighten me? tia peace
Quote: Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen Just curious . . . how do kids who grow up in households with no punishments cope in an outside world full of them? can you explain what you mean, your point of view? maybe it's semantics - i don't see an outside world full of punishment. peace