or Connect

Posts by ASusan

I own a Honda Civic Hybrid, purchased new in 2003. I regret the purchase. I used to put a lot of miles on the car, as DH and I lived in different states and visited on weekends, so I felt obligated to purchase a hybrid.   I won't even go into all the things that have gone wrong with it, as it will just piss me off. We put well over $2500 into repairs last spring, for things that shoudl have been fixed before. It was off the road more than it was on for over 6 months,...
Re: oatmeal in the crock-pot. You should put the oatmeal and milk/liquid in a dish, and put that dish in the crockpot in a waterbath, otherwise, the oatmeal will stick to the crockpot and you might never get it off. I use 4 parts liquid to 1 part steel cut oats in a corningware dish that fits inside the crockpot. I put water almost up to the lip of the corningware dish, and put it on low (hi, on my crockpot, will boil the water away by 4am).   1-2 Tbls Black-strap...
Not the most polite comeback, but when I was having a garage sale, a newly pregnant woman was looking over a (blue) bucket carseat. "But I don't know what I'm having," she lamented, indicating that she'd love to buy the carseat, stroller, high chair. "Well, you're not having a hamster," I said.   (The baby items were all originally purchased for a girl, but were all blue or black.)   We're not finding out the sex, and I usually just say, "Nope, we're not finding...
Nope. Just going about my day. I sit a lot at work. I am on my feet for, at most, an hour or 2, but then I'm sitting again. I rarely exercise (hides under chair).   BUT, going to the pool - and getting into the COLD water - will activate cramps/Braxton Hicks. It did last pregnancy, and I"m headed there tonight (with DS, who is 4 - I'm not really exercising while I'm there. In fact, I try to get him to swim in the cold pool (big lap pool w/ diving board) while I stand...
I had Braxton Hicks throughout the latter part of my first pregnancy.   This weekend, cramping set in and yesterday, I REALLY felt pregnant. I felt as if I were bursting out, and cramping/uterus tightening ALL day, without let up.   I *know* that liquid cal-mag is helpful for cramping (and restless leg, which I got during last pregnancy, and for constipation), but I really dislike the flavor of it. I rubbed a LOT of Epsom lotion on my belly last night (CVS...
Good to know the shades don't attract dust. If we had gone with cellulars, we would have done top-down/bottom-up. I really like the idea of that feature. And we would have done light blocking in the bedroom, and "regular" ones downstairs.
We had wood blinds installed throughout all the house - matches our woodwork and hardwoods. They are cordless, so you just need to pull or push from the bottom to lower/raise. We generally leave them down all the time and adjust the slats - open for day/closed for night. They don't have the holes that older blinds have, so they are *relatively* good at blocking light.   We really went back and forth between these and light blocking cellular, because I *really* like...
DS just turned four. He has been sitting for meals for as long as I can remember. We don't allow him to do "nomadic eating" (where he takes food around the house) or drive-by eating, where he is not at the table, but comes back for bites. It's never really been an issue; it's the way we do things in our house.   He sits until he is finished, and then asks to be excused. If he has not eaten the amount that he typically eats (i.e., I think he might be hungry later), I...
I have much less appetite this time around. And, not surprisingly, I am not gaining weight nearly as fast this time.   Exhaustion was/is greater this time. I had early exhaustion, like last time, but it seems to be lingering. I have to go to bed by 10 at the latest. I am useless after 3 in the afternoon. My mother says this is because I'm now older. (She had me at 29 and my sister at 39, so her experience was 10 years older equated to A LOT more tired the second time...
Prior to following a point (usually) is "joint attention," where the infant will look at something, then look at you (to see if you see what s/he sees), then look back at the something. OR, where you look at something, look to your infant, and then can (re-)direct her attention toward the object, "Look, isn't this interesting?"   You can direct your infant to play with an object with you - say, roll a ball back and forth, or ask if she can put a toy in a container,...