or Connect

Posts by ASusan

I operated similarly. When DH saw me doing holding DS over the potty and going "sssss," he asked where I learned it. "My grandmother," I said, which wasn't too far from a lie, as she had "trained" my mother super early simply by observing when she did her business and setting her on the pot right before that time. (She has this story about being super-embarrassed when the minister came to call and my mother was sitting on the pot on top of the kitchen table.)   DH...
Well, waaah on the discontinuation. Good to have the insider information, though. Thanks. I really don't want to go searching in the basement for our old potty yet. (TBH, I think it's gone.) The pink one on Amazon is only $14, but..it's pink.   We did run into the fact that DS was going to outgrow it rather quickly. He is in the top %tiles, especially height-wise, so when it went missing, I wasn't too concerned. But, I did like it enough to want it back/another...
We did casual EC with our first. When he was newborn, I just held him over a prefold. We used the dryer as a changing table, and that was the perfect height to hold him facing away from me, supported by my chest, and cued him with sss and/or a grunt. Then I graduated him to a BBLP - http://www.amazon.com/BabyBj%C3%B6rn-050005US-BABYBJ%C3%96RN-Little-Potty/dp/B000056J78 - and still held him facing away from me, supported by my chest.   I probably continued this to...
breast milk and/or hydrogen peroxide. If the peroxide bubbles, it's indicative of infection/immune response. (the layers of skin have been cut and are re-growing themselves). It's a good thing initially, but you don't want bubbling in a few days because you want those layers to have closed up.   I would give/offer garlic foods or Sodium Ascorbate (Vit C powder) internally to help the body fight off any possible infection. I don't think I would use garlic topically on...
We didn't take DS to the doctor when he had HFM. However, his symptoms were quite mild - fever that broke in one night, a few sores on his hand and maybe a couple in his mouth - and we were fairly certain that it was HFM because there was a notice at daycare that it was going around. Partially, I think his course was mild because I was still nursing him. He was around 11 months.   Here is some information that I compiled for myself and another mom at daycare that...
I, too, think about this. In our culture, choice is often equated to "freedom" and is presented as a very good thing. But, too many choices can be overwhelming and anxiety provoking (see, for example, research and writing by Barry Schwartz, http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html). And, I think, emphasizing choice runs the risk of conflating consumer choice with freedom. The two are not the same. We gave our son very few choices when he was...
I agree with KCMichgan. Our daycare has an open-door policy. I can walk in at any time, and stay as long as I want.
Prof. James McKenna (Univ. of Notre Dame) suggests that deaths associated with co-sleeping are frequently (always?) infants who are not breastfeeding.   This interview with him demonstrates that he differentiates between co-sleeping (broad definition) and bed-sharing (specific definition).   http://cosleeping.nd.edu/   He was on the scientific advisory panel that advised the AAP committee who made up the policy. Basically, he says that the AAP's decision was...
DS is 4 and intact. His opening is very, very tiny. He does not retract, and has significant ballooning upon urination.  It has gotten worse over the past 6 months. During the summer, it hurt to urinate, every time. He cried in pain; daddy had to help him go. Every time. He is not the type to fuss or cry at pain, so we knew it was significant. (I have heard him scream in pain only twice in his life - once when a bowl of hot chili spilled in his lap and burned him, and...
Caetlinh - she looks to you, but not necessarily for praise. Try to think of it as "she's trying to share her enthusiasm" for accomplishing a feat. Stop at "Yay!" - she doesn't need the "good job!" attached to it. Praise takes away her ownership of her accomplishment. With "good job!", now YOU'RE the one with ownership (you've judged her; deemed it good) over her accomplishments. You've taken away a (albeit small) piece of her budding autonomy. Let her have it, and SHARE...