or Connect

Posts by mom2ponygirl

My 10th grader is probably doing about 30 hours/week, but is currently in 2 dual enrollment classes at the U, and 3 online classes, plus other stuff she wanted to learn this year.  Next semester will be much lighter and probably 20 hours/week. 
Coming in late to the conversation, with another suggestion for math.  livingmath.net has lists of great math books at every level that are fun reads.  A great way to feed an interest in math, give a taste of fun concepts without the feeling of drill, and perfect for kids who love to read.  My daughter was a big fan of Penrose the Mathematical Cat, and The Number Devil at that age.  
My 14 year old dd, is enjoying her second semester of Russian at the state U.  She has been highly amused by incidents in class surrounding her age.  The professor announced in class that they were to state their age in Russian, but of course they didn't have to be honest about it.  So, a round of 18, 19, 18, 20, etc until they got to my daughter who said she was 14.  The professor clarified, 'you're trying to say you are 14?', My daughter answered, yes.  So, the...
I'm still here as well with a 14 yr old only.  I joined the social group mentioned a couple pages back and it seems to have a little activity happening. 
I just joined the group. I've commented in the past on the old thread.  I have a daughter, 14.5, so we've done the only thing for quite a while now!  LOL   My daughter did briefly want a sibling, and she did have family members who directly asked her if she wanted one.  Fortunately by the time she was 4 or 5, she had friends with siblings.  She came to me one day with shock and horror and told me - 'Mom, siblings fight!  And they get into each other's stuff!'  The look...
Also forgot eImacs , they have an accredited option.  They are pricey but so is CTY.  They get great reviews.  We may try a computer science class with them next fall.
Whatsnextmom - yes I know exactly what you are talking about.  I had friends in high school and college who were very counter culture as a statement.  My dd just doesn't care to bother. LOL  All of her friends wear makeup and shave, and she is fine with that.  She just has things she would rather do.  She'd rather work on her art, get school stuff done so she can work on her art, or hang out with friends and work on art together.  At least she likes to go outside and do...
I find myself in the opposite place of most of you.  My daughter is 14 and has noticeably hairy legs.  She has no interest in shaving them.  It is her choice and I respect that she can buck social convention with confidence.  However, in the quiet of my own mind, I worry about the response from peers.  It would be easier to just fit in.  There is a cost to treading your own path.  She is handling it well and has friends who don't seem to hassle her too much about it.  ...
Last school year my mom was dying from cancer.  She passed away in June.  The year and a half before she passed had me really putting my dd's homeschooling on the back burner.  She did an online class or two she was interested in and then just really did her own thing.  This school year has shown me how valuable that time was for her.  She is so self-directed now at 14.  She plans what she wants to do and how to get it done.  She protects her free time to spend with...
My dd did the Explore when she was 9 thru Duke Tip.  We did it so she could skip the state mandated testing for homeschoolers.  I've heard kids say that they felt like they did not have enough time to do the math.  Mine said it was easy and she could do it in her sleep.  I think she did do it in her sleep as it was lower than her other scores, and she's a very mathy girl.  LOL  We didn't do any preparation other than let her try the practice problems that came with her...