or Connect

Posts by JayGee

Geo - my DS went through a similar barfing-in-the-morning thing from about age 9-10. Doctor couldn't find a thing wrong. DH and I surmised that it was a blood sugar thing brought about by exercising (running around/jumping on the trampoline/etc.) just before bed. If we made him have a glass of juice before he went to sleep, it didn't happen. His were always preceded by bad headaches that would wake him up. Don't know if that's at all similar to what is going on with...
So much to read and respond to. Real -- I am astonished by what happened to your superintendent! What exactly is the School Board's agenda that they are trying to accomplish? What they did to the superintendent sounds less-than-legal. Plady -when you first mentioned doing Annie, I found a whole bunch of YouTube clips from the 1982 movie with Carol Burnett for my girls. Now they are obsessed! I saw Annie on Broadway back in 1979 and remember it as an incredible...
Lazy day here too, kerc. I did kick the soccer ball with DH in the basement for for 30 minutes and worked up a good sweat. DD1 has two friends over for a sleepover tonight, DD2 has a late indoor soccer game. Now watching women's hockey.
Exactly! Says the Dingo who is currently walking a 20 min/mile every day. Any faster and my hip and calf don't like it.sparkle - well, I know I'm not anovulatory because I use FAM for birth control and still have temp shifts every single month. I remember being depressed in college, in Maine, where it was winter from October-April. And as a young adult I was very, very depressed (Prozac saved my life, literally, but stopped working after about 2 years). Not sure what...
Nic ~ I hope you tri was great! I can't wait to hear about it . kerc ~ sounds like a great birthday! lofty - you asked on the other thread about what I'm reading ! I finished the Orphan Master's Son (LOVED it, in spite of the disturbing depictions of torture). I also decided to take a break from the heavy fiction for some kid lit and read Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt (historical fiction set in 1968). I picked up Jen Hatmaker's Interrupted which is a book about how...
Interesting about height. DS is tall (5'3", 110 lbs.) for 6th grade. One of his closest friends is 1/2 his weight and about DD2''s height (she's 7). They get treated very differently, although they are exactly one day apart in age. I scheduled a parent -teacher conference with DD1's teacher. I found it odd that she didn't request a conference with me, even though DD is currently averaging a D in math . At tutoring she scored at the mid-1st grade level on her...
So much great input on writing! Thank you all! DD1 had another writing assignment last night and did SO much better with just a little direction. And then she went dowstairs and wrote a 5 page retelling of the Hunger Games written from Peeta's perspective . The girl has a lot of potential, but her current school situation just doesn't capitalize on it. tjsmama - hope your second day with this preceptor went better. When I was working on my teaching certificate I had a...
kerc - our schools stink . When we first moved here from Bloomington, IN I was horrified by the differences. Now looking at private school options, again. DS has done well in the public school because a) he got his foundations in Indiana, b) he's very self-motivaed by learning itself. Kids just walked in the door. BBL.
Geo - thank you so much for your detailed description of teaching writing! She will totally understand the visual aspects of the "hamburger" and the graphic organizer, as well as the color coding. Thank you!!!! How often do you do writing with your kids? BBM - thank you for your suggestions. It's not a cycle thing (hormonal), because the depression/anxiety can occur at any time during my cycle and can last for months before receeding again. If I think about it, I've...
Nic - I am SO with you on the cold. Done with it. It's 3 right now. As my DH says, "3 is not a temperature!" Good luck on your tri this weekend! BBM - so happy to hear you're running again! It gives me hope that one day I might be able to report the same. Real - that is so unspeakably awful! May your community find peace and healing . jooj - enjoy your trip! And congratulations on the good commentary and review of your writing. Not sure if the degree makes a...