or Connect

Posts by indiemamma

wow! This is so cool! I want to do something like that for my area. I live in a pocket of backwards Californians, all my mommy friends had epidural/c-sections and didn't even try to breastfeed... and I'm tandeming my 6m/o and 2.5 y/o!! I just got permission from my college professors to nurse the baby during my finals next week since I have three 3 hour finals back to back. My classmates will at least see that its possible to go to school with a little one and be able to...
Beautiful! My husband and I want to move to Brazil some day... isn't Brazilian Portuguese an amazing language?! Brazil is also where they have done an (old) amazing documentary called "squatting birth"... it was my inspiration during our UC! The women would birth all by themselves, squatting low and delivering their children. Wow. Although in the medicalized births of Brazil, I think they have a ridiculously high c-section rate. Anyways... thanks for posting this, its...
I turned 25 this weekend and dh got me a MacBook for school. We went down to buy it after dinner Friday night and they started setting everything up for me. They were quick, but it wasn't a very kid-friendly store (you know, white, cement, lots of computers) and the kids were starting to melt down. One of the sales ladies started a Seasame Street game on one of the desktops that made DS really happy, but DD just wanted one thing. So DH continued to give the guy info...
Quote: Originally Posted by free2be Not trying to still the post but wondering...I limit DD sometimes to 5 minutes. Do you guys do that? Sometimes she will stop nursing on her own but other times she can go 20 minutes or more. Usually I go for 5-10 minutes with her. I feel like that is plenty. Oh yeah, I do. Jonathan was kinda starting to wean when I was about 7 months pregnant... at least night weaned and only nursing 3-4 times a day. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by honeybunch2k8 Could you imagine what it would be like if WIC gave out nursing things like pads, pumps, maybe even clothing instead of formula? When I was on WIC with my first born, they loaned me a FABULOUS pump until he was a year old, since I was working and attending school. The only bummer is, I couldn't keep it past his first birthday. But it totally made it possible for him to be EXCLUSIVELY breastfeed his...
I'm minoring in Women's Studies and I personally feel like there is so much emphasis (at least in the readings that we have done) on getting women OUT of the house, AWAY from mothering and there has only been negative references to breastfeeding as a way that women are tied down at home. We read Simone de Beauvoir and another classmate made the observation that her views on mothering were like when Oprah does shows on stay at home moms... what does she know? It is my...
Just watched this video again with my 2.5 year old son sitting in my lap. My poor boy is having a hard time sharing mamma milk with his new baby sister. He was excited to see the big girls still having mamma milk and said "Oh wow! Nursing there! My turn?" So I nursed him as he kept his eyes glued to the computer and the big girls. It was so nice to see the video and then read her reply... I have NO support outside of my husband for tandem nursing my kids. My own...
Hi Fellow BUSY Mammas!! I've been pumping for my 4mo DD since my return to school at the beginning of January. I have a nice little lounge off of the women's restroom in our University Union, but there isn't a lock on the door and most of the students use it to stash their backpacks while they use the restroom. SO I've had many shocked students walking in on me and my big ol' DDD's pumping away! I've been slightly embarressed, but they have been MORTIFIED! My...
Hee hee! I'm loving these responses. If I'm getting stared at while NIP, I catch their eye and smile brightly and say "Hi!"... and usually my two year old will start his LONG greeting of "Hi! Hi! (lots of loud toddler babble.....) OK?!" Although I do have to mention a funny story: baby was sleeping while we were in Costco and Jonathan (toddler) was really cranky and asking for Mamma Milk, so I sat down on a display porch swing and nursed him while DH held the baby. ...
I live in California and this week I have breastfed my children at: Church Target Applebee's our public library the local play ground (covered up, but only because it was FREEZING) And no one has said a word. I've never been hasseled or bothered by any adults, although some younger kids are curious about why the baby is "eating me". I've told them that my body makes milk for my baby and they think its cool and run off again. I'm thankful that I can breastfeed...