or Connect

Posts by D_McG

If you are only nursing 3x day then it shouldn't be too hard! Choose a new routine for each session. For nights here I had my DH take over. For naps I just drove around (very short term. A few days into that I would just rock her, sing etc). I kept it light and positive and reassuring. Lots of hugs. I knew I was doing the right thing and we'd be happier for it in the end. It didn't take long at all. Congrats on your pregnancy and hope it goes well! I would...
I agree to leaving the bed and feeding at fixed intervals if necessary. The kind of waking you're describing is something I'm familiar with and I learned to sleep through it (mostly. Someone here called it the 'no clock sleep solution' where you just allow yourself to wake enough to bring the baby to you). But that's just not possible for some people and the way you're living now is just not sustainable. You'll get sick. Give it a few nights. Babies are very...
I just checked back your posts and see one from you about green, mucousy poop in the baby. If you haven't already definitely cut dairy out of your diet. I always knew I had made a slip in my diet if my son was in all night nursing mode. After I had changed his behavior pattern so that he could be comforted in other ways (so much easier on me) he would still have restless nights after dairy. (just not as restless b/c he wasn't constantly ingesting that which was making...
Quote: Originally Posted by lifeguard The fact that she can accept "later" when you're in public says to me she is capable of accepting this. But she's not used to having to wait when you're at home. I'd start by saying "later" at times that you know she is not really interested at home just to get her used to the idea & then make the "later" 5 minutes from now & slowly stretch it out. I think it is totally reasonable to set boundaries with nursing...
My DS slept the same way. The whole try to sleep through it thing worked reasonably well but ultimately I stopped nursing him immediately when he woke up. I'd sing first, instead. And I didn't nurse him at all from his bedtime to mine (my DH took over then). It cut his waking in half and so with my little girl I started it way earlier. I basically never nursed her hourly for longer than a night (we all have bad nights). And consistently having DH handle the...
I had a different experience because I was VERY relieved to wean and my DD is younger (21 mos). I weaned DS at 22 mos. With both I kept it light and reassuring. Just "we don't nurse anymore!" and I didn't let any sadness I had show. I wanted them to know that moving on to the next phase of our relationship was a wonderful thing. I had no mood swings etc after weaning. I was actually much happier because I was getting uninterrupted sleep but YMMV. Congrats on...
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I pushed to wean b/c I'd read enough tandeming stories to know I'd go mad from it. But I know people who have done it and loved it!
We had to get really strict with DS at dinner time. It got worse before it got better. Basically he gets one warning and then goes to his room. If he acts out he doesn't get a snack and is instead re-offered his dinner before bed. Our issues were less that kind of craziness (but there was a bit of that) and more about being rude about the food. But basically we had to employ a zero tolerance policy wrt mealtime manners. It worked wonderfully and meals are pleasurable...
I would just go with your gut. I personally could not nurse a child that age on demand. My kids would nurse all day long given the chance. I just got done weaning my little girl but for her I had us down to before naps and bed shortly after she was a year old. I just never gave in. Not to be mean but just to be clear. I knew she'd learn other ways to be comforted and so it worked out well. I don't think there is a right or wrong approach. All kids will wean...
Where did you hear that you didn't need to brush? I brush my kids teeth twice a day as soon as they get teeth.