or Connect

Posts by mrsmischief

HappyMonkey- It really is crazy! I'm trying to be compassionate with myself as I see the pile grow and consider how much time, money, and energy has gone into the accumulation and care of the "stuff" in my home/life. I often joke that half my life is spent shoveling "stuff" from point a in the house to point b. The growing giveaway boxes prove it. ha!   *7 cookbooks *2 pairs of shoes *4 bottles of chemical reeking washable tempera *box of 48 Crayola colored...
*6 puzzles *3 board games *7 children's books *3 wooden vehicle toys *wooden easel *8 recycled glass jars from spice cabinent *5 bags of expired herbs/spices   336/2013
I went through my daughter's dresser and freecycled all of her outgrown clothing:   *7 pairs of jeans *3 pairs of pajamas *baseball pants *baseball shirt *soccer shorts *2 soccer shirts *3 woolen sweaters *5 tee shirts   I also removed her old partnerless socks and outgrown undies but am unsure if I should count them as decluttering seeing as we'll be replacing them with fresh new sizes tonight. ;)   I also gave away a bag of Mega Blocks and a...
2.5 months until moving day and I'm decluttering in a focused and liberating way.    Sold, gifted away, or sold this weekend:    7 cookbooks 12 mugs 8 specifc baking pans (think shaped pans and madeline tin) 27 cookie cutters 13 various gadgets, extra spoons, etc 16 cloth napkins 2 tablecloths 1 picnic basket Cusinart ice cream maker donut maker electric knife extra rolling pin 2 metal rectangular pans 7 vases a large box of floral...
I second the recommendation of "Zoo in the Sky" The book is beautiful and one my daughter has long enjoyed.    "When the Moon is Full: A Lunar Year" provides beginning information about the legends behind the name of the full moon each month. In my family we have a tradition of planning a dessert around the names of that month's moon each month.    A few other fave space books:   What's Out There? by Lynn Wilson A Child's Introduction to the Night...
Your talk of quality time made me smile, RavenStar. QT is such a beautiful part of home education.   I have relished being able to see many of my daughter's intellectual firsts, including first book read, just as much as I did seeing her first steps when she was a nine month old wee baby. Witnessing her development in other ways, being there when she designed her first 'real' experiment on her own or when the beginning of one of her passions was starting to come...
I'm happy to have been able to help you. :) Unschooling an only child is an issue I've grappled with quite a bit over the years and sometimes in moments of weakness those ugly only child stereotypes pop up in my mind yet again, but so much of it's unfounded. If you're anything like me, you'll worry and fret a bit the good times and fun will far outweigh those moments of uncertainty. Happy learning journeying to you! :)
I can't necessarily compared the two as I've not experienced both, but I can tell you my daughter does not want for inspiration at all. I often say life is an all-you-can-eat buffet of learning to her and she never leaves the buffet line. ;) S works on a variety of interesting projects and comes up with many grand schemes, games, and project ideas on her own. I also spend a good deal of time with her so that she can bounce ideas off me while I ask questions to encourage...
I only have one child but she was similar with sleep and activity as a baby and now as well. No advice but sympathy.   Have you considered posting this question over in the 'parenting the gifted child' forum? Sleep comes up fairly often there and you might receive some helpful advice. 
I take pictures of all my daughter's work and save about five 'flat' works per month and anything that is special to her. I also encourage her to consider giving some of her pieces to family who enjoy seeing her artwork.    For display in my home, I have dedicated a wall in our home to be her "art wall" with easy change frames for displaying paintings, room for hanging canvas paintings, and drawings and a shelf for sculptures, pottery, and the like. Everything not on...