or Connect

Posts by ginadc

Oh, I so felt the same way when my DS (our #2) was six months! For the first couple of weeks after he was born, I was so besotted with his infant self that I knew I wanted a third. Then reality set in, things got crazy as they do with two kids 2 and under, and for the next 9-12 months I said that not only were we not on a "two with an option for three" plan, but we might well be on a "two with an option for one" plan, and which kid did the person I was talking to...
1-2 was by far the hardest for us. ODD, our first, was an incredibly easy baby. She napped like a champ, two good solid long nap blocks per day until she was about a year and then down to one good long afternoon nap. She slept well at night and was just generally easygoing and fun.   Then DS came along. He is a sweetheart of a guy but he's very sensitive and for the first year-18 months of his life, wanted to be on me 24-7. He nursed like a remora for the first six...
Quote: There were SO many instances when he was just not being heard, or he was feeling lectured or whatever, and since he hadn't learned good coping skills of his own, he would just act out. To me it was "oh, he's defying my authority as a parent, bla bla bla, he just NEEDS to learn how to behave"But kids are not the only ones who need to learn how to behave and show respect. Oh, this is so absolutely true! The problem is the part where I know that...
Quote: Another thing that helps me...most of the time...is actually planning what I will so if situations arise. So if you have a recurrent problem, act it out in your mind how you would like it to play out. Ex-"If she refuses to leave this am, stop count to ten, go get a drink of water" Whatever helps to get through the initial reactive moment. Deir, this is a great strategy. I need a specific plan for exactly what to do in the moment, not just...
Seventy, thank you so much! This is going to take me a long time to read, but so much of it is soooooo familiar. I'm sure I can find some strategies in this thread.
This is all great advice, and a lot of it is stuff I already do--when I'm thinking rationally. It's not so much that I need more tools to use with my DD, as I need some tools to use with ME--to snap myself out of the rush of anger that makes me turn into my father. I am a big believer in Larry Cohen's "Playful Parenting," for example, and in my rational mind I know how well those techniques work. I've seen them work, time and time again. But when I'm exhausted (which...
I was raised by a very gentle mother and a father with a terrible temper. He spanked and yelled, a lot, and I hated it. Unfortunately, I have inherited my dad's terrible temper. I struggle constantly to control it, as I do not want to be the parent my father was. But it is incredibly hard, and I fail...a lot. From a rational distance, I can say "It's worse to spank or scream at your child for XYZ than it is to 'let them get away with it' while you take a moment to calm...
Only if there's really no other choice. Bad enough with babies, but waking up a sleeping toddler before he or she is ready to get up is guaranteed to end up with an overtired, cranky kid, often with either temper tantrums or hyper, obnoxious behavior as a result. A few times we've just had no choice--event we all had to go to together, either scheduled at an inopportune time for nap or the kid's nap just went unexpectedly long or started late. We do our best to get the kid...
The thing is, I DO say stop. I DID say stop when my kids were sick and they were all up in their faces. Their parents are RIGHT THERE. I am walking out the door to the car and am SWARMED. Yeah, this is really where the parents should be stepping in. You've mentioned that they speak Spanish, but I'm not clear on how good their English is--in any case, however, I'm sure your discomfort at this behavior must be pretty obvious, and since your homes are so close together,...
Hi all, Wow, this feels like deja vu. A little over 2 years ago, I was on other MDC forums asking for help in turning my breech baby. I found out DS was breech at a 32-week ultrasound to check a low-lying placenta. Despite weeks of Webster, moxibustion, breech tilts, and two version attempts, our little guy remained stubbornly breech. I found--again thanks to MDC--about the only OB left in the tri-state area who does vaginal breech deliveries, the amazing Gae Rodke. But...