or Connect

Posts by hhurd

Captain Optimism, thank you so much for your last post. Clearly, you made an effort to really understand what I was trying to say, rather than leap to the conclusion that I was an guilt-ridden, over-sensitive, easily upset, advocate of formula feeding lurking on this board to try and stir up trouble. I appreciate your level-headedness. Thanks for weighing in.
Name calling now? Very nice. Is this not a DISCUSSION board where people can share stories, advice, and DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW? Apparently not. It seems to be a place where everyone must be in complete agreement, or keep quiet. When I read something that, in my opinion, was misleading and insensitive, I chose not to keep quiet, responded respectfully, and have been flamed for it, and, charmingly, called a troll. Very, very productive, folks. Several people...
Name calling now? Very nice. Is this not a DISCUSSION board where people can share stories, advice, and DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW? Apparently not. It seems to be a place where everyone must be in complete agreement, or keep quiet. When I read something that, in my opinion, was misleading and insensitive, I chose not to keep quiet, responded respectfully, and have been flamed for it, and, charmingly, called a troll. Very, very productive, folks. Again, how does...
Reading carefully, as you suggest, I, too, can parse quotes from this thread to make my point that it's needlessly insulting to formula feeding parents. An example, quoted completely this time: "DeVante: <> So you mean you're poisoning the little babies?!?!? LOL-Not quite, but pretty damn close for a 4 year old" Or this: "I guess in a way, it is still hurting them. Unless you're donating to adoptive moms or women who really couldn't bf for some reason,...
This thread was first posted on the Parenting Board, which is where I found it. The word "formula" in the subject line caught my eye, and I'm glad it did, as reading it has been enlightening, (but not in a good way). In order to advocate for breastfeeding, is it really necessary to disparage all formula feeding? Must people insinuate that parents who formula feed are low-income, uneduated welfare moms who make the poor choice to poison their children? Doesn't that...
Speaking as a Mom of a adopted son who is formula fed, I find the tone of this thread condescending and insulting. We did not "choose to do what wasn't good for our baby." Yes, I know that breastfeeding is best, but it was not the reality for our family, just like giving birth was not our reality. I don't think equating baby formula to poison is funny, even from a four year old.
Our children's safety IS important, but beware the culture of fear, folks, beware the culture of fear!