or Connect

Posts by sueami

A blast from the past! Thank you, wuwei, for reviving this old thread. I'm very interested in your consensual living link. I'll have to explore when I get a chance. I wrote this poll 3 years ago, as I was realizing that I was wanting to parent along the lines of Taking Children Seriously. I hadn't identified the philosophy entirely, nor did I realize that MDC wasn't going to support much discussion of TCS (apparently the discussions got too heated.) In fact, I left MDC...
DS will be 5 next week and his ped just said that he should be retractable by now. he's urging us to gently try to retract him everyday for a week and see how much progress we make. I'm here to research this out before I do anything. It sounds like my son is not alone, and that's encouraging... sue
Well, this has been an interesting thread for me. I haven't posted at MDC for ages, busy IRL with growing kids and all, but I returned from our city-sponsored Halloween carnival tonight with my nose bent out of joint and decided to come on line and find out what's happening to Halloween in other parts of the country. Our city, a large, conservative, Christian suburb in SoCal, apparently contracted out much of this year's Halloween carnival to the largest church in...
Quote: Originally Posted by mama_kass I am starting massage school next month. I can't wait! I have a bunch of questions for all the massage therapists on MDC. Did you massage school to be hard, stressful, or fun? How do you like being a massage therapist? I plan to work part time. How many hours do you work and how many massages do you do in that time? Do you work for someone or for yourself and why? Hi mamakass, I enjoyed...
We came to TCS pretty organically. None of the other parenting paradigms seemed healthy or productive to us, as we moved through the early parenting years and discovered that what babies and children express as their wants and needs (and so intensely!) are vastly different from the cultural norm of how children should be "raised." And frankly, I can't understand why people believe that being controlling, punitive and self-centered with children (in terms of wanting...
oh, thank you all! I'm so glad to hear this is normal for the age... This morning he mentioned death again, but just said he wanted to live a long, long, long, long time, which sounded like normal childhood thinking to me. A&A, thanks for telling your story! I don't remember worrying about death this young but I did dig out the child development books, and sometime in the fourth year is when it often starts, so I'm feeling better.... many thanks and feeling much more at...
Okay, my nearly 7 yo dd doesn't seem too interested in the concept of death, one way or another. It certainly hasn't registered with her on an emotional level yet. Which is why my nearly 4 yo ds' recent interest in death is starting to spook me. Last week, apropos of nothing as we were driving down the freeway, he asked me if kids died. (I said, yes, sometimes they do, but not very often at all. Most people grow up and grow old before they die, or something like...
Thank you all for your replies and your advice. thanks, mandi, for the book recc, those are always welcome. and the funny thing is, dal, i really feel badly for her husband. i don't think people do such self-destructive things unless they're in a lot of pain, and i can see how he has been, without the emotional tools to handle it well... i feel for the both of them... and that's an excellent suggestion jilian to post in single parenting. i don't know why i didn't think of...
Someone very dear to me is facing a divorce, after two children and 15 years with someone who was pretty much her first boyfriend. The circumstances of the breakup are really difficult, multiple, long-term infidelity. I so wish I lived near her but our families are 800 miles apart. Her kids are still young and she was dealing with depression and sleeplessness before this and had gained a significant amount of weight. She's so upset now that she's been unable to eat well...
i vote for barbara kingsolver too. not as scathingly funny as annie, but very rich writer none-the-less...