or Connect

Posts by KellyB

I'd start with a conversation about "schools of thought"...and how they're always changing, and how "experts" can never agree on anything. I'd use fevers as an example...how when we were little, moms and doctors thought the fever was the illness, and anytime we got a fever we were given something to make the fever go away, but now we know that fever are good, because they kill the bugs that make us sick. And milk is a perfect example, too...if you google "milk health" on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gitti We have more pharma lobbyists on Capitol Hill than we have Congressmen. And what I wouldn't give to know exactly what goes on behind those closed doors...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mothra No, I agree with this. All kids do sneaky things, especially in the transition from preschool age to about five or six, maybe a little older. That's part of testing boundaries. However, have you ever been around kids who have been spanked or abused in some way? That's a completely different kind of sneaky, and that's the impression I got from her statement that these kids would lie about such a thing because they're...
Is there a chance that it might have been a really crazy party? Like, maybe involving drugs you really would have felt uncomfortable around? Or perhaps some variety of craziness that you would have felt very bad being involved with. The only reason I ask is that I have a close friend who sometimes has parties I'm not invited to, and I'm pretty sure they might be "coke parties". And I have another group of aquaintances who like to go out to clubs and take off their...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamawanabe I don't want to make jen123 feel bad. But, no, I actively work to train myself not to judge the parenting practices of the loving well-meaning moms I see at at the malls and the bagle shop. I do sometimes immediately think "hold your baby" or "loose the mouthplug," but I know that thinking these things is wrong and that good mothering/happy, healthy kids has very little to do with buckets/no buckets or...
A thread about how unthinkable it is that a mom of a 2 week old would leave the baby with her sister for a few hours while she went to a bible study is insulting to a large chunk of the MDC community. How does it help you be a better mom to talk about how you would never, ever do such a horrible thing? This is not one of those subjects that's an AP no-brainer. This is a subject that is in the grey zone. You should be able to consider yourself an AP parent and leave...
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...nary&va=exempt Quote: 2 : free or released from some liability or requirement to which others are subject The whole meaning of the word bothers me. I can deal with vaxes being a school requirement. But when mom's start frantically filing for exemptions for their babies, fearing CPS sees non-vaxing as medical neglect or something, that is just too much. It doesn't even seem to always matter that technically...
Your nana sounds a lot like my DH's grandma...she even does the whispery "What is she doing to you?" thing, too! And the sweets, and the 1940's style parenting thing down-your-throat. I wish I had some better advice, but I think we just have to suck it up... Before I leave the car to walk into her house, I just take a deep breath and accept what I know will happen. I've actually started getting used to it.
Abimommy, You forgot: BS= baking soda...yeah, that's right! Here at MDC BS=baking soda! EVOO=extra virgin olive oil ACV=apple cider vinegar (can you tell I hang out in NH&BC a lot?) Oh, yeah...and NH&BC=natural home and body care
Quote: I'm just not sure how I would handle the pressure. I have a tendency to cave to authority (or those in authoritative positions, such as doctor's). Is there a 10 step program to get over that? The way I see it, doctors are not authority figures. They try to make you feel like they are, but that doesn't make it so. That's just their trick...they talk to you like a kid caught chewing gum in class, and you feel like a kid at the principal's...