or Connect

Posts by Ragana

Yay, on a roll lately. I've been trying new recipes, and the family is pretty happy about it. It's also giving me a chance to clean out old cookbooks. I'm leafing through, marking recipes, trying some, and then dumping the books that have been on the shelf for ages for sentimental or other reasons (e.g., I used to think I would like to tackle baking, but I actually can't stand it). Some of them just don't reflect the way we eat anymore - sadly, Laurel's Kitchen is going to...
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this, plus I would add finding a passion or passions in life.
We have pretty much been relaxed about it. Kids can see what they got if they want, but they haven't been too interested. I usually hand them to DH, who is a teacher and actually understands the results, he says fine, and they go in a file for a while. The kids are a bit stressed during testing week (and the sporadic times throughout the year other assessments are given), so frankly, we handle that with treats - milkshakes, relaxing with a movie, special dinner, taking...
That's good! Be careful - my mom came down with pneumonia this week.
Hope you are better, too, kitchensqueen!   Fri - Ordered in Sat - Friends over so DH made gluten-free beef stew (1 celiac in the crowd), vegan vegetable soup (2 vegetarians in the crowd), and baked potatoes. Most of us ended up mixing all three together - YUM! Sun - I was out all day, so I made TJ's fish sticks/tots and a pot of spaghetti with jar sauce that also served as lunch for DD today.   This week - Mon - Crockpot chicken - probably this:...
Hmmm, scrambling... If I get lazy tomorrow, I can make scrambled eggs. Thx for the idea! 
:-) Good for you for making the best of your difficult situation and turning things around! I hear you about girls (mine are 10 and 14) growing up - wonderful, but nerve-wracking! I experienced some bullying/meanness as well when I was younger, so I am also grateful to at least be aware of trends so we can talk about things when they come up. I was somewhat clueless at that age. Miranda - Can I ask you a question if this isn't derailing the thread? I went and bookmarked...
My family does not have those dietary restrictions, but I know people who have done it/are doing it. I think the guidelines for making the diet as inexpensive as possible would be the same as for any diet - stick to whole foods rather than processed ($0.99 bag of carrots vs. $5.00 bag of GF pretzels), coupon if there are coupons for what you eat (Whole Foods has them), shop sales and stock up, keep ingredients for quick favorites in the pantry to minimize eating out, bake...
OK, kitchensqueen - I used lentils in the soup! DH and DD loved it. Not my absolute favorite, but quite good with a hefty shake of Tabasco! I also threw in a few spoons of red pesto. We ate the soup with some TJ's frozen mini pizzas. That was it for my plan this week. I really want to eat out tomorrow, but I think I'm going to make tofu and stir-fry vegetables instead. If I get fancy, then some sushi rolls, too.
WOW! I am about 15 yrs. older than you - and you really opened my eyes here! I had no idea, actually. Good to note, since my DD is 14 and heading into high school. That is a type of peer pressure I never thought of!! What a difference 10 years can make. BTW, I just wanted to say it's great that you're being so open about these things with your daughter. When my DD was that age, she would try to nix those conversations, too - bras were gross, mom don't talk about it, etc. I...