or Connect

Posts by gardenmommy

We are still here, too.  We are looking for a new dr., so I can't give you any help with that.
I always nurse the baby through the heel prick.  I've only had one baby cry, and that was my hospital birth, because they wouldn't allow me to nurse through it.  My other babies were fine, even when the MW had trouble getting enough blood.
I'm planning my 5th homebirth.  With all my HB babies, I've had the routine NB screening blood work done.  It is a simple heel stick that my MW does at about 48 hours post-birth, after the baby has had a little while to feed.  We skip the eye ointment and vit. K (although, if I was going to circ a boy, I would probably get that), and all vaxes.  I don't think a heel stick is particularly traumatic to the baby, esp. if you nurse through it.  IMO, it is worth the peace of...
Very good article. I have to say that my MW is excellent, and provides very thorough care.
I agree with PP.  Toddlers are often eaters of habit:  they only like things they have had in the past.  In my experience, you really have to just keep putting it in front of them enough times for them to become comfortable with the idea of eating it.  Also, as a general rule, I don't usually make anything special, but feed them off my own plate.  They want what they see me eating, which makes it easier to convince them to try new foods.  However, there are always times...
Very nicely said.  
Yes.  We have a very tight budget.  I make most everything from scratch, and while it isn't a *lot*, everything adds up.  I am feeding 7 people (8, if you count the babe within), and we simply can't afford to buy stuff to throw away.  I am not certain those veggies add a significant amount of vitamins anyway, because the broth cooks for so long.  I think it's better to buy the veggies, and either eat them raw, or lightly steam them.  My second point is that broth for me...
I don't add veggies to my broth, either, for the same reasons.  I can't afford to devote money to veggies for broth, and I tend to forget anyway.  
I think you just have to state, with confidence, that "this is what we have decided, and it isn't up for discussion."  Now, honest questions are always welcome, and an openness to understand the whys and wherefores of your decision is different than a critical opinion-sharing session.  I think that you will know the difference when you engage in the conversation.  If it turns from a desire to understand your decision to being critical, then you pull out your standard...
I completely agree!  I have three that are interested in the stories (my oldest doesn't care at all, and my youngest is too little to really pay attention).  Of those three, the older two are 29 months apart, but there is a HUGE difference in their reading levels.