or Connect

Posts by NicaG

I agree, 2-3 was much much easier than 1-2. You're already used to multitasking and prioritizing everyone's needs. You know your limits and you know when to ask for help. You are already an expert on babies, so you have more confidence. Honestly, I am loving this 3-kid thing and I'm so glad we decided to have #3. My only advice would be to make sure you have some help in the early weeks--a babysitter and a housecleaner if you possibly can. Makes the transition so much...
I am a sahm but considering going back to school for speech pathology.  I think it seems like a great career.  But I am very intimidated by the idea of going back to school.  It took me seven years to get my BA because I had no financial help from my parents and I was working full time.  Now I have three kids and I wonder how I will fit classes and studying into my life! The classes look so interesting, but I am worried I don't have enough science background. I was an...
I really think the most important things you can teach kids about moving fluently between social classes:   -read anything you can get your hands on, spend some time in bookstores, it's good to have intellectual curiousity and a broad cultural literacy -never feel ashamed of where you come from--every life is unique and interesting.  Be proud of who you are and where you come from -openness, a sense of humor, and curiosity go a long way.  If you don't know...
I really think so many of the unpleasant trends in American parenting these days stem from a deep anxiety about our children's future economic security.  I live in a pretty high-pressure suburb of NYC, and I really feel like so many decisions about extracurricular activities and about parenting stem from a desire we all have to get our kids into the best possible colleges.  So that they don't end up in low-paying careers without proper health insurance, saddled with...
I remember having these feelings about my first ds and his baby sister....the new baby was so cute and sweet, and ds was in the middle of the terrible threes and was just driving me up the wall most of the time.  Then the situation reversed itself when dd became more mobile, getting into everything, throwing tantrums.  Suddenly ds seemed like the sweet easy kid.  For me, as the kids get older and their personalities develop more, I feel like I have a more balanced view...
My ds was doing whining a lot too.  I was pregnant, and then we were adjusting to life with a newborn, and I didn't have a lot of patience for the whining.  We started "123 Magic" with our six-year-old and three-year-old.  Basically we have a written list of behaviors that are not acceptable...including whining, badgering, repeated complaining, fighting with each other, etc. etc. When someone engages in one of these behaviors, we give them a first warning ("that's...
OMG, are you me?  Seriously, I read your post and I did a double take thinking, is this a post I wrote and forgot about?  My dd turned 3 in late September.  I was pregnant and crabby all summer and didn't have the energy or patience to deal with potty training accidents.  Dd had been using the potty occasionally and even seemed almost trained some days/weeks, but I was pretty casual about it.  I figured she would regress anyway in October when her baby brother was born,...
We have an almost-7-yr-old and a 3-yr-old. They both go to bed around 8:15 and get up around 7. Ds often reads in bed or looks at catalogs for another hour after bedtime, and sometimes we let him come downstairs after his sister goes to bed, for a little extra game time, reading time, whatever. He has a flashlight in his room for reading. Dd could probably use a little more sleep, but it seems difficult/impractical to have 2 different bedtimes.
We love Dav Pilkey around here--I read the Captain Underpants books out loud to him at age 5, and now he's 6 and reading the Ricky Ricotta series on his own.  Captain Underpants can get a little...potty humorish....but it's very funny and kids love it.   Another vote for Magic Treehouse.
Chess