or Connect

Posts by alima

I second the pp to document, document, document. Keep a log book of incidents. Inform the school of what's going on. If the police get called again, show them your documentation and ask for a police report number, or the badge number of the officer. Add this to your documentation. Include the names of any adult or older child who witnessed the families behavior. This is harrasment, but you will have to put together a bundle of evidence before police or school will...
Another vote for Math-U-See, as the name implies, it's designed to be largely visual and was a big help for my ds when we used it.
There are so many really interesting and cool things to do when your hsing, it's very, very tempting when you first start to sign up for everything, thinking your kids will be missing out on important stuff if you don't. I think this is something just about every new hsing family does. Cut back on your activities, big time. Your kids have plenty of years ahead of them to try new things out and they won't miss out on anything by having more free time. Spending 20...
Quote: Originally Posted by 4evermom And I thought Montessori made a lot of sense until I had a particular child with a particular temperament and a way of doing things that isn't compatible with the Montessori method. I'm all about child led learning. Hooboy, was Montessori ever a disaster for my ds What kind of educational theory would have worked best for Calvin? That's the one I could have used
I learned stuff from tv, so has my ds. We've also learned stuff from books, the internet, schools, private teachers, and interacting with friends and neighbors. Just like most other people I know. It's been said before in this thread, but I'll repeat, there are as many ways to learn as there are families, and as many styles and approaches too. I liked the idea of Waldorf when first looking at hsing (except for the weird racial theories, yuk), but that kind of...
You know, one of the nicest, unexpected, dividends for me of hsing was not having to socialize with the gossip moms every morning when I dropped ds off They will quickly move on to gossiping about someone else. Enjoy your fame while it lasts
There are plenty of men who have had special family needs while they served in office. I don't get why it would be different that she is a woman. You'd need to critique every single man who served in public office with a special needs child at home before you can criticize her. Why would you assume that the child's father is not capable of providing good, supportive care to a child with Down Syndrome? In the face of no evidence, I don't see why it should be assumed...
Parts of this remind me so much of ds when he was little. Especially the yelling. Ds would fight going to sleep soooo much, and squirm and keep himself awake, and the only thing that would put him to sleep for a looooong time was for me to say in a loud, firm voice "Go To Sleep Now!" Out like a light with a smile on his face in 10 seconds A lot of this sounds like SPD to me. He sounds like a sensory seeker, big time. Ds used to run into walls when he was...
My ds used Artistic Pursuits one year. We used the junior high book, so can't speak to the younger age material, but ds liked it ok (he's not very into art, just wanted to learn to cartoon a bit, and needed to work on his fine motor skills too.) It was nicely set up in short blocks with the sort of basic information that me, as a total non-drawer, needed too, in order to help him out.
A quick google got me this page