or Connect

Posts by alima

Quote: Originally Posted by transformed ok, just throwing this out there - What if the child isnt shown respect? I am not perfect and my upbringing was horrible, as was my dh's. ... Any insight on how the child learns respect that way? I think that learning respect from, and for, parents is a cumulative thing, it's not going to be tainted by one or two incidents. Learning that your parents are human and can have bad days, say unfortunate...
I totally know what you mean! I love that my ds is growing into a great young man, but I really, really enjoyed his childhood years and I'm really missing the little boy he used to be. It's especially hard for me because he's an only child
Quote: Originally Posted by LeftField I don't know why people believe this. It reminds me of a funny story about my father. He made some comment about how my 7 year old is going to need to learn to deal with groups of children at some point in his life. I know a LOT of adults who need to learn this too I work in restaurants, and I have a few servers who fall apart if there is ONE child in the dining room, let alone a group. I know adults...
Since one of the most common pass times of students I knew in when I was in school was insulting and ridiculing the teacher behind his/her back, I never did understand the "learn to respect authority" argument. It seemed to me when I was a kid that ps was set up to create adversarial relationships, not foster respect, and that opinion hasn't really changed since I was 10 or so. Personally, I think this is the grasping at straws argument. It's the one people dig out...
Quote: Originally Posted by hugosmoma at night. when everyone is sleeping. i do not enjoy attempting it when they are awake (2, 9, 17 -- though the 17 does love to come and ask me questions when i am doing yoga, especially when everyone else is sleeping!). i cannot reap the psychological benefits when the others are up and about, and most often end up interrupted. i do yoga once a week when the kids are up, but my husband is playing with them (i don't...
I wouldn't tell the mother, I would talk to the girl matter of factly that she cannot take anything that does not belong to her. I came from a home with lots of problems. I went through a phase of stealing. My parents kept up a reasonable front for the neighbors and outsiders, but once the door closed... I'd be taking a beating every day for weeks for something like this. Being confronted about my bad behavior by someone outside our family would have made things 10...
We weren't when ds was younger (at least I didn't think we were, but ds was always in swim lessons, drama class and usually would try out one new sport or physical activity a year.) Now that ds is a teen, he's gotten much busier--just started Kendo lessons, will start Japanese language classes in 2 weeks, bass guitar lessons soon, and wants to learn the double bass as well. At his age, it's all self-directed and isn't really about trying new things anymore, he wants to...
Quote: Originally Posted by storychick The understanding I've gotten, from the neurologist, neuropsych, and all the reading I've done, is that TS is a spectrum. And that the ADHD symptoms *are* secondary to the TS -- not necessarily as a cause-effect, but because the same mechanism that leads to lack of inhibition of movement and vocalizations (the tics) leads to lack of inhibition of movement and vocalizations (not sitting still and shouting out in...
Quote: Originally Posted by NatureMommy Normal impulse control: Idea...Evaluation...Action So that's been what I'm missing!
Ok, I don't want to criticize parents for decisions they've made in crisis, but I have Tourette's Syndrome, and I would really wish that parents wouldn't use TS as an excuse for impulse control, for a couple of reasons: 1) there is a LOT of misconceptions about TS, and I've been told soooo many times by friends, family, and, on occasion, medical help, that I don't have TS because I don't have one particular symptom they've been told goes along with TS. It's hard enough...