or Connect

Posts by alima

I approached making healthy lifestyle changes about 6 or 7 years ago, making little changes cumulatively is what has worked the best for me. When ds was younger and I couldn't get out of the house easily, and didn't have much money left over, I looked for easy ways to get active during a six month long winter , I did things like dance, jump rope, and play hacky sack in my living room. Yoga has been a real big thing for me, and is easily done by yourself with a dvd or...
I love John Taylor Gatto, but I found this one next to impossible to read, and I've got an English degree. He does tend to meander a lot, and the general lack of citations or any back-up evidence for his claims does make me a little annoyed as well. I'd suggest reading Dumbing Us Down, great read, and much more a personal essay type format, which makes his very personal style of writing easier to take.
I'm guessing we could just set up an account for "MDC team", and share the password so we can all update the team miles/km when we do our own. Not sure about the conversion stuff. I'm Canadian, so would normally use km, but I've found that when using US sites, it's usually just easier to go with the flow I updated one more mile from yesterday. I counted the 200 or so loops I did of the restaurant last night at work as 1 mile. It was a busy night, so I didn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by MarineWife I know there are people on here who will say that smoking MJ is not a bad thing. It does not lead to a dead end life or other criminal behavior. I've never known anyone who used MJ on a regular basis and wasn't essentially a bum. All the people I know of who used it regularly couldn't get a decent job and couldn't hold any job for long, didn't work regularly, didn't finish their educations. Most of my...
I've also been in the same kind of situation. My ex walked out when I was 9 months pregnant, for a girl he'd been dating for months, after begging me to have the child and stay together the whole time. He did a total 180 on his attitude and treatment of me. 15 years later all I can say is I am sooooo thankful he walked out when he did. I so understand your anger, wanting everyone to know what a crappy person he is. I couldn't understand how he could walk out on his...
I live in a very urban area, and no, we're not supposed to have farm animals anywhere near here, but I live in a neighborhood with a lot of new immigrants and refugees, and it's not unusual to find a family keeping chickens, or even milk goats, in their backyard, as they had back in their home country. From my experience here, as long as you keep your stuff clean and don't disrupt the neighborhood, one chicken might not be a problem.
My sister is 7 years older than me, so I just started wearing her hand me downs at 6 or so. I'm the youngest, so nothing I did raised many eyebrows around the house. I guess my mom figured if it made me happy, who cares? Surprising, looking back on some of the things my parents didn't bother about, since they were very strict Catholic Irish immigrants. I figure if my mom who went to confession 3 times a week didn't mind, it can't be all that bad
My ds is 15, wears a size 14EEE, or in some brands, 15. I got his football cleats off Ebay, there are a lot of sellers who buy odd lots of large size shoes for dirt cheap and resell them. I got him a brand new pair of cleats, good quality that fit perfectly, for less than $30, shipping included. There is no way I could buy a pair locally for less than a few hundred. One thing ds really misses is roller blades. I found a few sites online that sell large sizes, but...
Congratulation! :
Quote: Originally Posted by mrscompgeek Thanks! I will have to have my thyroid checked then. Does GYN doctors do that or do I need to go see my regular doctor? Any doc can do it, your GP is just fine for that. Just make sure he tells you the numbers, not just what he thinks they mean, and the normal range the test gives.