or Connect

Posts by alima

This is a great article, but can I add a caveat. One of the things that has bothered me most in my unschooling journey with my ds is how attention is only paid to unschooling when the kids far exceed the norm. I really think it's a dangerous thing for hsing that truly exceptional kids are presented as the norm. My ds is a really interesting, smart, creative person, but he will never be accepted into college at 15, write a novel at 16, or win a national spelling bee. ...
Zoebird, when I said the neighborhood is dangerous, I meant gangs and murders. A 12 year old was arrested less than half a mile away for beating to death a woman at a convenience store. Teenagers have been maced out front of my building for wearing the wrong colour clothes. One neighbour, an anti-gang activist, was stabbed in front of ds, lost part of his intestine. No way can ds walk around after dark, no matter how much reflective tape he has. I don't walk around...
Hey, I'm a little late in joining in (just got a computer again a few weeks ago, I'm finally not a luddite anymore, lol) but can I add my name in too. I became hypothyroid about 6 years ago, gained about 50 lbs, after diagnosis it's taken me three years to lose 30 lbs. Have 20-25 more to go. I'm 166 right now, would like to be 145 by July (Folk Fest!!!) My whole family is incredibly skinny, having some support would be great. I was doing yoga, walking and biking...
Hi ladies, thanks for your replies. Ds has always been a kid that put on a lot of weight suddenly, then slowly grew into his weight. At this point, though, unless he's going to be 7'2", he's not going to grow into it, and the weight is really slowing him down, and he's really embarrassed of it. My problem now, is, I guess I'm getting a bit burnt out of this. I've spent years reading everything I could about nutrition, healthy eating, healthy lifestyles, etc, and...
Just a suggestion, have you had your thyroid checked? I started gaining weight even though I was down to 1200 calories and 1 hour of exercise a day (that was the only thing that convinced the doc, finally, there was something wrong.) I was just becoming hypo (too little thyroid hormone) slowly, so didn't have a lot of symptoms, just slow and tired and gaining weight no matter what. Whenever major changes are going on in a woman's body that she can't explain, it's a...
My ds was dead set against hsing, didn't want to even discuss it. Turned out he thought hsing would be doing everything he does in school, except with no other kids to do anything with. No matter how I described hsing to him, he couldn't imagine school as anything other than school. One day that he was out of school, we happened to run into the local hsing group out flying kites. Ds was shocked that this could be "school". He decided that day that he would be leaving...
I don't know what Ohio's law's are like at all. I'm in Manitoba, which has very good laws. But I removed ds from school after 3 years of increasing severe behavior problems (which started when he started school, and disappeared about a year after he left.) Ds was on special education, had an IEP, loads of special accomodations, a teacher's aide, resource time, occupational therapy, community mental health crisis intervention team (they mostly mediated with the really...
Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread, but would really like some advice. I have a 13 yos, who has always been a pretty big kid, but lately, things are getting out of hand. I developed hypothyroidism about 6 years ago, put on a lot of weight and got very tired and couldn't do much physically. I've been recovering for the last 3 years, and have finally started to lose weight and get back into shape, but ds, who was always in the very highest percentile for height and...
my ds always says he's lucky-to-be-homeschooling. Ali