or Connect

Posts by D&S Mom

I am having issues with my 9 year old daughter. Over the past year or so, I think she has started having panic attacks when around groups.  She complains of feeling dizzy, having a sick stomach, and her heart beats really fast and she has shortness of breath. I have had her to the doctor for this but physically she is okay.  Just last night I had to bring her home from her school Christmas Concert because she was so filled with anxiety that she was crying and petrified. ...
I live in Newfoundland and some things are expensive. For our family with 2 adults and 3 kids I spend around $800 - $1000 per month. More than my mortgage. Since I live on an island, most things are shipped here.  For instance, regular price for a bag of apples is $5.99.  One of those big blocks of cheese are regular price of $8.99.  "Fresh" broccoli - 2.49 per head. Box of cereal - $4.99 or 5.49.  I do stock up when the sales hit though.  I think if I planned every meal...
If I were in your situation where I may not be able to work in the future I would be conservative with the money. Maybe GIC's (CD's in the US?) would be a good bet for the biggest portion of the money. Other than that, I would use a balanced portfolio in mutual funds. But my best advice is to talk to a financial advisor that you can trust to help YOU make the right decision for you.
Maybe you need to adjust the door. We had to do that with ours. There should be some screws that keep the door on. Maybe tighten those and see if that helps? GL!
I have had some luck rubbing in some dish detergent, such as Dawn and letting it sit for a little while before washing.
Try this one: http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources.html Go under "Interactive Worksheets". There's a budget one there. Lots of great info.
My kids do have a Sesame Street book ( I can't remember the name) and it is about Elmo and his new friend who is a different colour monster. Very age appropriate. It starts out with Elmo not knowing what to think of a new friend (Angela) because she is a different colour. He then goes to her house and sees that her family is just the same as all other families, blah blah blah. Might be a good one to start the conversation.
Personally I would go with the DVD player in addition to the other stuff. Mainly because I know my kids do get car sick and sitting and colouring (looking down) would only make them sicker. I think watching the DVD would probably help.
Quote: Originally Posted by mama_ani I just started reading Debt-Free Forever by Gail Vaz-Oxlade and it is excellent so far. The first part (where I am) walks you through step by step figuring out exactly how much you really spend, your debts, setting goals and making a budget. More info here: http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/ She is great. Very basic and no-nonsense approach. Great tools on the website too for budgeting.
Saw these calculators and thought some of you might find this helpful: http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources.html