or Connect

Posts by robynlyn80

I would really check with the agency. Regardless of what is permitted in your state's standards, the agency will have their own policies. Every agency I've every worked for (several) require that a home study be done by them. Even if the contract that service out, they want the home study done by their contractor. So even when a family was just transferring agencies (like from Lutheran to Bethany), the new agency still required a new home study (or at least an...
You will most likely not be able to take a privately completely home study and have it used by the state. They will want to do their own, regardless of how "good" you HS is.
in response to the OPs statement about embryo adoption, i know couples who were matched immediately upon having a completed home study. there are embryos waiting to get matched with couples, not the other way around. and the cost was quite minimals (respectively). Minor costs to the agency, home study fee ($700-$1000 around here) and $1000 per IVF cycle.
in my state, 'kin' is a pretty loose word and can mean almost anyone. we call them 'fictive kin'. it is very possible for seemingly far removed people to be caregivers and adoptive parents w/o the typical verification process of foster/adoptive families. however, should the case to as far as to adoption, then yes, the same standards apply. but i've seem many circumstances where children are placed with 'fictive kin' w/o a home study, or at least just a kinship study-...
have you considered a 'finding' or 'matching' agency like Lifetime Adoption?
something i learned recently about FAS- a fetus has to be exposed to alcohol during a very small window to exhibit facial characteristics. something like day 18-21. its really small and really early. so its very possible to have characteristics of FAS w/o the facial characteristics. I agree the usually child centered play therapy is not the best solution for a child who has a true RAD diagnosis. The child who attaches indiscriminantly is much harder to work with...
Quote: I'm curious whether I meet other HBers in my area if I will feel out of place and not have anything in common other than views on birth and maternity care. to answer this specifically- i'm a homebirther who lives in a very liberal area with a huge AP community. i am one of the least "crunchy" people in my circle and as our kids get older and further away from birth and pregnancy, i have found that we have less and less in common. we have...
There's a lot of good evidence that shows if a child develops a secure attachment with a caregiver (such as your FD is) that that attachment can transfer to a new attachment figure. You are providing her with the foundation to develop a secure attachment to someone else.
i think a lot of these statistics must really vary by location. I do see a lot of infants adopted through foster care, and I absolutely see this happen within a reasonable time frame (12-15 months). One of the biggest reasons an infant would be removed is due to mom's substance abuse. This is, unfortunately, one of the biggest reasons kids don't go home, too. Like I said, I'm sure it varies considerably, but I don't think the idea of adopting an infant from foster...
it really is going to vary, but i can't imagine places checking history. Agencies will just be curious to know what your financial situation looks like currently. In my state, there are no specific rules against this but I do know of agencies that will not verify a foster or adoptive home that uses assistance such as food stamps. Supposedly there is empiracal research that indicates (in general) this is a risk factor and a strong correlation between families on...