or Connect

Posts by jogirl

Yes - Susan attended 2 of my homebirths. She was working with BirthCare in Alexandra at the time. I didn't know she had branched out on her own. How exciting. I loved having her attending my births and wouldn't have had it any other way :) Tammy
My baby sister is 21 and just figuring this whole being-on-your-own thing out. She lives near Upper Chesapeake hospital area. She has a heart condition and had mild spina bifida at birth, so she needs to be under an OB care for regular OB healthcare and if/when she eventually gets pregnant. She wants to pick her OB now. She hasn't had a period for almost 2 months. Bloodwork is negative for pregnancy (as are a bunch of tests)... more bloodwork happening today. The OB she...
We're looking at moving to the Bellevue area this Fall and I'm looking into the same things. Can you tell me what you've learned (I know the website stuff - looking for more personal knowledge) and what you decided on for your kiddo? Thanks! Tammy
I do a weekly homeschool-type co-op with another mom who has a similar kiddo to mine and we print out several letters (full page size) and have them paint them (much easier than writing small). We also work on letter construction with the Handwriting without Tears wood pieces and sheets. Starfall has been instrumental for all my kids. We taught them to use the trackpad of the laptop when they turned 2 and they've all navigated the computer really well. My little guy also...
At least I'm not the only one with this problem! Surely there's a good solution. I'd hate to bring in store flour just for a good cookie, but if that's the answr then I'm willing.
Your recipe is very similar to the tollhouse one I use with a 1/4 cup extra flour... but I still get flat cookies with a full cup of extra flour. I don't sift the flour that I grind (I grind on the finest setting using my kitchenaid grinding attachment) - do you sift? I'm just at a loss why my cookies are crunchy and flat instead of moist, cakey, and more plump .
We do our own grinding for baking and bread, but I am in desparate need of a good cookie recipe that makes a cakey chocolate chip cookie. My cookies always come out too flat and crunchy. The kids like them, but miss a good ol' tollhouse-style cookie. Right now I use the tollhouse recipe and add an extra cup of flour. I'm using soft white wheat to grind. Can anyone help?
I'm probably not the best person to respond unless you are an advocate for radical acceleration. My daughter is 4 (she'll be 5 at the end of this month) and is in 1st grade full-time... and at the top of the class with little effort. They'd put her in second grade, but that's just nuts right now. I didn't know how well she'd adjust since she's so spiritied and bouncy, but I've been so impressed at how well she adjusted and loves loves loves her teacher and class. She goes...
Oh.. before our meeting I researched grade skipping and radical acceleration at Hoagies and printed out info on the Iowa Acceleration Scale in case they pulled the social argument and wanted a more objective way to determine if a skip was in my dd's best interest. I must be lucky in that none of the folks were in the least concerned about her socially after watching her prior to our meeting. I also went to SENG and printed out some opposing arguements for the social...
My dd is 4.5 years old and we've had an amazing experience thus far at her school - sort of. We did early entrance for Kindy (she doesn't turn 5 until this January) and they were okay with that after their testing session. Their read-aloud parent/kiddo homework program got annoying (she's an independent fluent reader) and was pulling her back to short picture books instead of encouraging her reading of chapter books (with no or few pictures). The kids have to read 10 books...