or Connect

Posts by joensally

I don't think it's a ceiling effect unless there were a couple of ceiling scores. The WPPSI-IV is good to 7.5 - did they use the III or the IV? I would look at the anxiety first, and the overall testing approach.  3.5 hours in one session seems onerous, particularly if a child required a parent's presence to participate.  Were there lots of breaks in there?   I wouldn't worry about the 73 on PS, it's a good score.  It's more common for gifted kids to have spread between...
What's the class size, and are the non-gate kids at the school neighbourhood kids?
Kids are often complicated, and it could be an "and" rather than an "or."  Kids can be gifted and have other complicating factors.  Whatever the particular mix is, you do want a child to be in a suitable environment, and you do want a child to be able to get along with others.  If the behaviours are significant enough that the school is talking about getting others involved, they warrant investigation.  And your examples are during transitions, rather than during seat...
I'm going to wander in with a slightly different perspective.  I'm a non-musical parent with two kids who at varying times have been learning two instruments simultaneously.  Moominmamma is a musician herself and a music instructor.  When I look at that outline, I'd either need to be really on top of the pieces myself, or ask the instructor to take time out of instructional time to load the schedule (while child was learning to do this).    My kids are generally working...
I wouldn't explain.  I don't know the relationship to you of the people making these comments, but I think it's fine to say something like "Thank you for your concern, we've got it."  Repeat.  Not everyone who might be interested needs to a) know the details, or b) have a say in things.   Having said that, if these are people who know something about autism and have spent time with your kid, it might be worth a greater investigation than a conversation with a...
I would recommend researching what a free evaluation involves in your area and get on a waitlist.  The parent interview portion of the  ADOS/ADIR (standardized tools for ASD assessment) is normed on 4 year old behaviours.  If you get on a waitlist now, by the time your spot comes up for an eval your daughter may be 4 and you may have had your 6 months of observing.  On the topic of getting a label, you can choose who you share it with.  And some therapies really do work...
I agree with Linda.  Personally, I would discuss it with them in terms of your daughter has some anxiety (around x, y, z), and while it initially manifested as internalizing (shyness, avoidance), it's now sometimes externalizing and her really big feelings can sometimes overwhelm her.  Experienced teachers will have seen this before.   Have you seen this article about anxiety and behaviour?  An anxiety response can be fight, flight or...
Kids with those diagnoses often have social communication and self-regulation issues.  There's so much going on internally that it's hard to pick up on and respond appropriately to external information.   They live like the radio is blasting loudly, everything feels like sand paper, and they can hear the lights humming and the kid four seats back clearing his throat.  That doesn't leave a lot of attention and judgement available to deal with the social world or think...
OP, are the evaluators using standardized instruments in their evaluations?  The rule out for an ASD should be "does not meet criteria according to ___ tool" rather than a narrative remark.  Same with ADHD; look up hyperfocus.   I agree with others to investigate medical causes, along with processing issues (eyes, ears, sensory).   The exact etiology of tics is varied as I understand. Could be PANS, could be genetic, could be a drug-reaction, could be...
  Pardon?  You're paying for this?  What's their training in gifted ed?   I would get a tablet/iPad of some kind and give him apps.  I would absolutely make any summer learning different from adult-led, linear, paper-based, rote skills oriented.   I am parenting a 2E kid and a sensitive G kid and they have gone through stages of profoundly hating school while desperately wanting to love it, including outright leaving school.  I really encourage you to tread carefully, to...