or Connect

Posts by joensally

If you look at social development, toddlers operate via their social bubbles, often engaging in parallel play with their same age peers as they're not developmentally ready for equitable give and take.  Older kids often like to be caretakers and think youngers are "soo cute!,"  and will make allowances for younger kids because they're accommodating the "baby"  or "little kid" because they themselves feel so mature in doing so.  It's not as mutual as play between older,...
This is true.  My DS is an externalizer while DD is an internalizer.  Guess who got more attention from school?  The one who was irritating staff.
There's a chapter in Nurtureshock on IQ testing that's an interesting read.  Kids' IQ scores can swing as much as 30 points over time, so "gifted" on a test is not static.  Plenty of people think their preschooler is gifted, and that may or may not end up being the case, given the wide range of preschool development and preschoolers are just amazing generally :).  I also think the amount of tech support kids get in early learning these days has skewed early development...
  Is he ever able to go out and not swear?  If so, I would "catch him" doing it right - praise him, drawing attention to the positive response he gets from others when he doesn't swear.  I would also look at what happens before he's swearing or not swearing (the antecedent).  Is he tired, just up from a nap, hungry, fought with his sister etc?   Do you do behaviour mod?  This behaviour may respond to being incentivized/disincentivized.  Figure out his currency (one:one...
  Tourette's is not on the autism spectrum.  ASD criteria does include stereotypic movement, which can look like tics, in the list of manifestations.  ADHD is also not on the autism spectrum, although people with PDD often have ADHD-type challenges as part of their PDD, or have co-morbid ADHD.  ADHD very frequently co-occurs with other diagnoses. 
I highly recommend searching this forum for threads with Roar.  There used to be a lot of conversations here about young, bright kids and self-direction and self-management.   I love Miranda adding it to the library list.  This is so great for a child's development.   I wanted to avoid having "a fast car with no tires."  My kids clearly had lots of interest, energy and appetite.  I worked really hard on building those collaterol skills - self-management,...
I think a lot of what you're describing is kind of "expected" with an asynchronous, young learner in an age-based environment.  I understand your worry, though, given the early implications for long-term opportunities.  
Would you mind posting his scores?  The scores can tell a story.  If he's just had a WISC done, that will help the psychologist.  Bring the report to the meeting.  Did they also do achievement testing?  What does that look like?  If there's a recent WISC and achievement test done, then they should be making decisions based on that rather than capped in-grade testing.   I read the thing about the school psych's report and your son attending 48% of the time in your...
A 130 on the SB5 is different than a 130 on the WPSSI in terms of "level," although I don't know about thresholds for program entry. http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm
That sounds really hard.  All of the diagnoses under consideration have executive functioning issues, which means he probably can't do better just now.  Executive functioning refers to:       EF skills can be taught (every kid is taught them by parents/mentors/educators, some kids just need more explicit coaching).  Kids with EF issues need to be scaffolded (provided the supports they need to be successful).  He may not be ready yet for the popsicle stick because he can't...