or Connect

Posts by joensally

Is this your son who was unschooled until recently, has written output issues and may have ADHD?   The vast majority of strategies recommended for kids with processing and executive functioning issues is to scaffold them - give them the support they need to get to their zone of proximal development.  So, get him to his "just right" level of challenge, where he can be successful consistently, then withdraw the scaffolding incrementally.     So I think you do need...
I agree with WNM :).   What I found my kids needed at that age was love, attention and attachment.  I really, really enjoyed those years of wonder with them, just going along for the ride and watching them develop.   If anything, I would look at her "style" of interacting with her world if you're thinking about preschool.  Different preschools may fit her style better than others.
We have found that many of the strategies that work for kids with an ASD work for our quirky, non-ASD son.  DS has multiple diagnoses, including SPD and ADHD (although I'm not buying into that one, but that's a complicated story), and vision issues.   I like the book Bright Not Broken.  The essential message of the book is that giftedness, ADHD and ASDs have many overlaps in presentation/challenges, but each field offers different solutions and philosophies.  The...
My favourites, in no particular order:   The Mislabeled Child When the Labels Don't Fit Kids, Parents and Power Struggles Both of the Webb books Smart but Scattered Bright Not Broken Out of Sync Child and OoSC has Fun Raising a Sensory Smart Child Freeing Your Child from Anxiety Helping Your Anxious Child   The Fonseca book is good as an overview with a few practical...
I don't know what value this would add given that the Canada tribe is not particularly busy anyway, and it will just add multiple lines to the scroll down between forums.  
OP, the way this thread has gone is an example of the rabbit hole you now find yourself in :).   A lot of the diagnostic process is subjective and fluid, and there's a whole lot of ideas about how to re-mediate, many of which are costly and/or onerous.     With kids as young as yours, I'd re-frame the whole thing to avoid pathologizing.  Labels in school are a double-edged sword - sometimes they yield greater understanding, and sometimes it means the child is...
    It's also a small percentage who are going to skip two grades and finish that many advanced degrees.  :)   I wonder if, in addition to high intelligence, you also possess a great work ethic along with balanced working memory and processing speed.  IME, people with solid WM and PS think lots of things aren't a big deal because they really aren't for them.  Being out of balance with this (high quantitative reasoning/verbal ability and low WM/PS) makes for a kid that's...
  A globally gifted child is a human being who might very well get bored and act out in an environment that was unsuitable, particularly when young.  Temperament is a huge variable.
Back to add.  For your daughter, Bruce Perry stuff is really interesting (re trauma), also this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Whole-Brain-Child-Revolutionary-Strategies/dp/0553807919/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344530790&sr=8-1&keywords=brain+siegel   I also like Smart but Scattered (re executive functioning), and found Kids, Parents and Power Struggles helpful, whether issues were "gifted" issues or not.  I find stuff for kids with ASDs helpful as well, and Seng's a good...
For your son, a WISC or Stanford Binet would identify his IQ and allow for entry into programs.  It won't tell you about sources of emotional challenges, but there are various screening tools that psychs use to tease out executive function issues as well as DSM disorders (like the BASC and others).  They're the inventory checklists that you and teachers (if involved) complete.  As for ASD, the ADOS/ADIR are the standard in many jurisdictions, but there are other valid...