or Connect

Posts by joensally

I'm not sure if you're saying you felt snarked by the responses, but most of the responses were from long-term members who have been posting in PtGC for a long while and aren't generally snarky.  We've been where you are - how do I  meet the needs of my child, who is showing some out-of-norm abilities and interests?  This forum used to be extremely active and the responses you've received reflect the experiences of many people who have shared here over the years - there...
  I hope the assessment is inexpensive, as there is little to no reliability in testing at that age.   http://books.google.ca/books?id=AlknZbhbUPAC&pg=PT103&lpg=PT103&dq=nurture+shock+iq+point+variation&source=bl&ots=2m3OtRGeEv&sig=QVNke4LbAXzyybp7yJh3_Y_Rp5U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uYrfT_3NLI382gWv8-m-Cw&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false   Montessori is good for many gifted kids, but not all.  It can also be very expensive.  In research, play-based preschool comes in a...
 Yep, and you'll end up buying things you don't use, and making various false starts.  And that's ok.
This is a great book, well worth purchasing.  Some of the resources may be out of date, but many are not.  It gives a very good overview of the issues and various approaches.   http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Schooling-Resource-Families/dp/0910707480/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337887470&sr=1-1   You might also like spending some time at the well trained mind forums.  Not all there are classical home schoolers, and it really does have a lot of...
Would you regret appealing?  In your shoes, I'd feel worse down the road for not appealing than I likely would for appealing.   Do you have test results?  And does he have any accommodations re his health issue?
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/871900/parents-as-good-judges-of-giftedness   I asked the question a few years back...
Have you read Webb's Misdiagnosis book?     I agree that holding him back is likely a mistake.  Have you considered having him privately tested?   When schools start to pathologize everything, it's a good time to step up as your child's best advocate and get them to slow down the train.  It sounds like there's a problem and they've jumped to a solution, without first methodically investigating the variables at play and considering a wider variety of options.
If you're concerned, you should take him to a professional who can observe your child directly.  I don't see red flags, but the range of typical and out of typical is huge at 29 months.       You did teach him those things - by giving him access to your phone.  I think the developmental norms for alpha and numeric acquisition are getting younger and younger as kids have more access to direct instruction from electronics.  Doesn't mean it's not very exciting that he's...
I would contact an advocacy organization in the province you're considering (AB??), and confirm that those resources are accessible and what criteria you need to satisfy in order to access them.  Sometimes what's written and what happens are different things.
      Huh.  That seems wrong to me.  Wrong in terms of developmentally appropriate, and also in relation to instilling self-directed creativity.  It would be interesting to ask him what he was thinking about during that "down" time.   I would also suggest another setting.  We looked at many montesorris, and there are definitely differences among them as to how they implement.  Montessori would definitely not have worked for DS at all, who is a very divergent thinker....