or Connect

Posts by joensally

PPs have given really great advice. DS could read words like "ought" and "Australia" in isolation at four. He dragged non-fiction books with lots of pictures (or an atlas) with him everywhere. He refused to be read to. We were so confused, as we couldn't figure out how he could have figured out to read so many odd, non-phonetic, multisyllabic words with so little exposure, and why he wouldn't freaking read!! Turns out he has vision issues. As they've improved,...
I remember thinking my almost 4 year olds were so big and developed, because they were compared to the year or more before. Looking back at that stage, I really see that 3-4 is still so formative and young! Maybe your son will never be a social butterfly and is naturally more introverted and solitary. Maybe there's too large a gap to be bridged between your 3 year old and his current peer group, but they will all develop social skills and the gap will narrow with...
OP, the test results helped me understand some of the subtle 2E things going on with DS. We're not HSing now, but when we were it helped me to feel comfortable not just grabbing the "grade 1" curriculum and doing that because that's what a 6 year old should be doing. We did all kinds of stuff that was all over the map and tailored to his interests and needs.
Quote: Originally Posted by heatherdeg I also find that MY child (I realize not all kids--gifted or not--are not like this) is very emotional. I'm learning more about that aspect of gifted children; but to be honest, knowing that he is gifted has sent me to read up on that aspect of giftedness vs. changing my discipline strategy to something that would address my kid differently (and likely not work because he's not thinking the same way as a...
I use lexiles. Different programs use different variables, so the same book can have widely different scores. What about picture books with great stories? Or non-fiction?
How experienced is the private tester? And who is he typically testing? He could be really experienced testing for other SNs or vocational, not for giftedness, and that's a whole other bag of tricks. If he's not that experienced with gifted, then I think it's a toss up. How experienced is the supervisor at the uni with gifted kids? (said as the parent of two gifties with inconclusive results due to testing issues)
What about explaining asynchronous development? I would explain it that it's very normal for kids to be focussed on one area of development for a period of time and then switch it up (like babies working on walking skills). It's like a bar chart, where some bars are much higher than other bars, and the bars constitute verbal skills, emotional control skills etc etc. GL
My DD's a year older and going through a similar transition. She also chose to leave an alternative school where she was socially successful for another school that would offer greater academic challenge. The transition has been rocky, and we're not also going through additional family stress. DD sees an art/play therapist every so often to help her deal with her senstivity, internal tensions and anxiety. If DD was expressing the level of pain that your son is, I...
Another mom with another kid who's in that SPD/ADHD/spectrum-looking mix. I agree with Ksenia, if he's not ADHD-y at home, I'd be wondering if SPD is the primary issue. Is OT an option? We haven't medicated, although we've seriously considered it. I think it's a legitimate course of action if it improves a child's overall quality of life. A great book: http://books.google.com/books?id=kPt...age&q=&f=false ETA; Another good...
DS is 7 and has SPD, many aspects of which for him are overresponsiveness. He's about to start a brief series of weekly OT, but it's previously been sporadic due to cost (we have no coverage for it). We have done a lot of work at home, after having assessments done to determine where his specific sensitivities are and to develop a sensory diet. It's required a lot of reading and planning on our part. DS also occasionally sees an art/play therapist who uses CBT and this...