or Connect

Posts by BCFD

Have you read this manifesto by Seth Godin?  It is one of the most brilliant things I have ever read about public education!!  My kids attend a Montessori charter school (it's public, but way different than your typical public school).  I think every parent, teacher, and person in the education field needs to read this.  I have printed off many copies for parents and teachers at our school and just delivered one to our principle yesterday.  I had my own copy bound and...
I am so sorry.  The situation just sounds awful for both of you.  My children do not have autism, but they have their own special needs (DD7 has severe anxiety that is improving with therapy, DD6 has sensory and speech issues, and DD5 has severe speech issues).  DD7 and DD6 attend a wonderful Montessori charter school where luckily they don't have a lot of homework, but DD7 is so severely anxious over her spelling workbook that we have modified it (which is a whole other...
We are actually a Montessori family, but I have a love for a lot of aspects of Waldorf. We have lots of playsilks, wooden Waldorf toys and figures, etc.  I remember as a kid having toys, but not an overwhelming amount of toys.  I remember lego's (before they were "sets"), all the usual boardgames, books of all kinds with all kinds of characters, dolls (all the classic one's from the 70's), Gnip Gnop, Hippity Hops, Barrel of Monkeys, Fisher Price Little People, Big Wheel,...
Um....WOW!!  My jaw hit the desk when I read this.  Like the others have said, I would march so quickly into that school and raise the roof!!!  UNbelievable!!!!  Doesn't the Sudbury/Democratic schools use this system?  You may want to post over on that board to see if anybody has some insight on how this works and/or how to make something like this be a positive thing (although not sure how that is even possible with such young kids).  I had an issue early in the year...
I was thinking something else that might help.  When adding something like 2+3, my DD's kindy teacher used to say, "Hold the bigger number in your head and then add the smaller number."  My DD  would count, "1,2,3,4,5".  It's easier to say "3.....4,5" or 8+3 as "8.....9, 10, 11"  That may not be the issue, but as a parent it used to drive me crazy inside to hear my kids say, "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.....9,10,11".  They also go to a Montessori school that uses tons of...
Hi Rose!!  I was just reading over your post and while I don't have anything specific for you to add, a lot of the things you mention already happen at our public Montessori (charter) school.  I thought I could add a few things that I have observed in our own school that might help you.   My 7 year old DD has pretty severe anxiety issues which we are conquering with PCIT (parent/child interaction therapy) and a great social group run by the PCIT director.  DD...
Sounds like you already do this, but just bombard her with all the positive things you see her doing.  Also, try using reflection, like, if you are playing with her just repeat what she tells you.  If she says, "Ohh..I'm going to use the yellow crayon for the mittens." just repeat it back; "You're going to use the yellow crayon" (don't phrase it in a question, like, "Are you going to use the yellow crayon?").  That makes her really see that you are listening to her....
YES! I bet if you ask about PCIT you will find that is the technique they are using!  There was absolutely NO discipline involved for about 4 1/2 months.  I finally told the therapist, "I feel really, incredibly silly commenting on every move she makes!" and the therapist said, "NO NO NO!!  We want you to do that because it makes it easier for you when you are not in PCIT with us!"  Then I laughed and thought that most of this is what we do anyway (i.e. DD1, I really...
Yes! This exactly.  My kids attend a Montessori school where everything was very concrete up until 2nd grade where I am now seeing their works becoming a bit more abstract. It's what I expected.  I didn't expect to see a pink tower in a room with 3rd graders.  By now, they have seen the pink tower since they were infants, and the learning must progress as they get older.   The reason we went through PCIT is not because my children are defiant, it was because our oldest...
Well, of course not!  But when you get that yellow light, knowing there are video and still cameras taking your picture, it makes you think, "Hmm...do I want to gun it?  Or should I hit the brakes?"  Of course when my children are of driving age they will learn how to drive safely, but when talking about small children I think it's imperative to understand from a young age that if they do X, consequence Y is going to happen.  I certainly hope that I don't have to have my...