or Connect

Posts by cameliabrowne

hi guys. Given that you have used my name as the thread subject, Shellbean, i think it fair to say you are planning more of lynch mobbing, than a continued discussion. I wrote many paragraphs in my posts saying that I was not addressing them to parents who were tired and stressed from raising autistic children, and much of what I wrote that was relevant was ignored in favour of a few hooks that were reacted too. Nevermind, that is human nature. All the best with your...
Thank you all for your replies michelle: [QUOTE=shelbean91;15650955]If your child has autism, he/she has autism regardless of a diagnosis or a label. If you're diabetic, not getting diagnosed and/or treated doesn't mean you don't have diabetes. The label of autism is really not an easy one to get, believe it or not. Yes, there is a HUGE increase in diagnoses, but it's not easy. There is a very specific criteria (if you google autism diagnosis, you'll find the tools...
Thanks Village Mama, your detailed explanation was helpful to me. I once looked after an autistic child through the IHC and he was absolutely gorgeous and abviously autistic in that he didn't talk and as much as I would have loved to hold him, it wasn't possible to make that kind of connection with him. I guess I worry that some children who are really just Extra, may end up with labels. I'm not talking about the children who you have described so well. I also...
I think the best solution is to present the pieces of cake on squares of baking paper on the track, presuming you have washed the track and it is lovely and clean; then that way you get to have the tracks and the guests get to know you have considered the hygiene and presentation side of things. BTW, amazing how many replies you have gotten to this, obviously something that there are strong and yet differing opinions on. I am definitely not a germaphobe (in my own home...
I consider my kids to be normal and they both do all the supposedly abnormal things that are mentioned here. And also, I did them when I was a kid too. Both my boys are completely different temperamentally, but i could attribute all of the things mentioned here to either of them. My oldest, who is an absolute angel in temperament, never remembers to brush his teeth. I send him back to brush them every morning on the way to school. At 14 I am not going to check how well...
My partner and I have used a mixture of the withdrawal method and condoms for the last 16 years. We are more motivated (or I am) to use condoms when I'm ovulating. I always know when I'm ovulating - I don't need to check the symptoms anymore. Three of our conceptions were deliberate attempts to get pregnant. One happened when I was breastfeeding and I can't remember whether we withdrew or not, but I wasn't overly worried about protecting against pregnancy at the time and...
I love your post, especially the bit about your son needing to have things in the right place on the trolley. Mine is just the same. he used to get v. upset when I put my bag on the bonnet of the car while strapping him in - just in case I forgot to put it in the car before I drove off - and that was when he was two. These days he goes round the lounge picking up things that might go up the vacuum cleaner when i turn it on - I love that! "and if we are having a...
yeah, I was amazed myself that there was a whole parenting philosophy built around something that seemed radical at the time, as no one else was doing it, that I had met, and yet it was so commonsense! It's always nice to be reinforced, especially when you feel you are on your own. i think its especially hard going to a play centre or play group where a lot of the other mothers know each other and don't make a lot of effort to include you. That can make the whole awesome...
I don't know enough about MDC to answer your question but I perceive this website to be pro natural parenting in general. Here is a link re attachment parenting http://www.attachmentparenting.org/ I didn't read about attachment parenting and then decide that would be my method. I just decided I would treat my first born the way I wanted to be treated myself. And that meant not leaving a tiny baby to cry itself to sleep in another room. After that I heard about...
For me, when it comes to sharing, I find that an important issue, so I intervene. I agree though that up to a certain age, they don't get it, so I would tend to go by the tried and true method of ensuring that another child does not take a toy off the one that already has it by looking for interesting alternatives to divert the attention of the one who wants the toy, trying to explain that the other child has the toy right now, but he/she will soon be playing with...