or Connect

Posts by momileigh

subscribing
My textbooks are not with me and I don't know where to look online for this.  Someone called and told me that she rushed her 2-day-old baby to the ER.  He was screaming and his eyes were rolling back into his head.  She had called me about this a few hours ago, but said that he would stop crying whenever she picked him up, and it didn't sound like it was a real problem.  I had no idea she was concerned enough to consider taking him to the hospital, but communication was...
Please tell your healthcare provider.  Itching on the soles of your feet can be a sign of a complication of pregnancy called intrahepatic cholestasis.  Lab tests can be run to help determine whether this is the issue.  
I would be furious w/ my dh, I'll tell you that.  You are being a fantastic mother, he's got relatives crabbing about you behind your back, and he actually tells you this, but too late for you to do anything about it?  He should have stood up for you at the time!     My honest opinion is that if relatives ask nicely to hold the baby and there's no good reason not to let them, in general, you should, at least for a minute.  That includes taking baby out of the...
I agree Lesley, I do a lot of waterbirths but I'm starting to steer women away from them a little bit, unless that's what they have their heart set on.     My question had less to do with the timing of cord cutting and more to do with who carries baby from tub to bed.  I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable with mom standing up, climbing out of the tub, and walking to the bed while holding her baby.  If I as a non-freshly-postpartum woman were holding a baby in a tub, I would...
Thank you for your replies.  Would still love to hear more.   Complete, you said it is "rarely" a problem.  Do you mean it has never been a problem, or has it ever been a problem?  What kind of problem?
How do you get mom and baby over to the bed after a water birth?  Assume birth was normal and mom and baby have had some time to bond.  Do you:   1. Cut cord, give baby to dad or someone else handy, help mom to bed, give baby back   2. Have mom stand up, get out of tub, and walk over to bed while carrying her baby   or other?     Please share your protocol, exceptions, experiences.  Also, does this change if there is significant blood in the water or...
OK, thanks for the input. #1 is overwhelmingly the way to go, so I guess I'll tell them to stop trying. Some of the points you have made (for example, whether the issue is the "package deal" w/ the 4-yo) were reasons I thought I might try to talk to the mother. I did not expect her to "force" her daughter to play with mine, but if there were a problem that could be solved, that would be good I think. But I guess I've already reached out to her and have gotten no...
We live in a small neighborhood (about 15 houses) full of mostly older couples. There is only one other child, a girl, who lives a few houses over. I have never met her or her mother, but have met her elderly grandmother who also lives with them. The mother has never been home when I have tried to go over and meet her. I think she (the mother) is probably 20 years older than me. She adopted the daughter later in life as a single woman and the daughter is probably 9 or...
The Carolina Community Maternity Center is now open! It is located in Fort Mill, SC just south of Charlotte off highway 77. The website is CarolinaBirth.org