or Connect

Posts by musikat

Looking at your tagline, it looks like you probably have a 3 and a 6 year old (or nearly for one or both)? Go easy on yourself. These are not easy ages!  And I will bet as they get older one or the other will go through phases that will make the other child seem more -- or less -- fun to be around. I would also bet it will balance out naturally over time. That said, I have one who I DO find a lot more difficult and worry about some of the same things. He's 11, though,...
Legos are a popular activity with my almost 11 year old. You could have them build a project, or do a "Lego" party where they can take home what they build. The Lego store sells take home party kits, but you could also do it yourself, especially with a small number of kids. Also, board games are big for my son and his friends. So maybe a game party? When we have non-birthday parties at our house, they all seem to get the biggest kick out of just running around in a pack...
I know this is a late reply, but I felt I had to chime in. I have a 10 year old son who was diagnosed ADHD in second grade and has been in Montessori since he was 3. I have to say it has been wonderful for him. Aside from one less than understanding teacher (who we luckily only had for one year because we had changed schools), he has had the best, most understanding teachers that work with his challenges and can give him the individual attention when he needs it --...
The cool thing about Montessori materials is that they can often be used in more than one way, so even if the child goes through all the "lessons" there may be things the teacher can do to go forward still using the materials. For example, my son is in first grade in a 1-3 grade class. He finished all the grammar boxes (identifying parts of speech in sentences) in the first two months of school, but when I went to P/T conferences last month his teacher showed me how she...
Well at the rate they are going on this report they may never get to that part! I asked him today if he had read any of the book I got him from the library and he said he is still doing Pearl Harbor. He told me his friends and he decided to write 10 pages per battle. His teacher is anticipating them taking until the end of the semester on this, so I will bring it up with her at the PT conference next month and express my concerns about the presentation. Thanks for all...
you said he is in Montessori. Are the letters and words he is reading at home are in print? Most Montessori schools I believe teach cursive letters. Could that be in any way confusing him? I know when my middle son started Montessori his teacher made a point of telling the parents that if we were writing letters or words at home to always do cursive (which I had to re-learn, since I never use it!). Also, like the above posters, watching other kids can be learning, or...
I only ever suggest things when specifically asked. I always appreciate being asked, however, especially as my kids get older and have very specific interests. I also always ask when invited to a party.   For my son's 9th birthday a couple of weeks ago I had one parent ask for contact information for other people coming to the party so she could see if they would go in on a gift for him that would be too expensive otherwise. I found that to be very thoughtful and he...
Thanks 4evermom. That is pretty much what I have said as well. He will get more details from the book (which he needed to do research so he could include it in the report). I don't disagree with his teacher about including it, and of course it is an extremely important aspect of the war. I guess I was surprised she encouraged it because I would worry that these 3rd graders will talk about some of the more gruesome aspects with the younger kids in their class.   Lynn,...
My son is in Montessori and they are encouraged to do reports on subjects that interest them. So my 3rd grader (just turned 9) and two of his friends are doing a WWII report and loving learning about it. At first I encouraged him to focus on the politics and the battles (all of which fascinate him), but his teacher told them she wanted them to also include information about the Holocaust. I am struggling with how much or little information to give him and what to tell...
For my son's 8th birthday a year ago he wanted a Harry Potter theme and wanted to watch the movies. Now he and his brother (6 at the time) have seen all of them, including the PG-13 ones, but I knew there would be parents that would object to that and made him stick with just the first one for the party. And indeed there were parents who said they didn't want their kids watching the later ("darker") ones.   All that is to say I think it is perfectly appropriate for...