or Connect

Posts by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~

Whoa whoa whoa. That has NOTHING to do with being AP or natural. It is highly illegal and life threatening to your child. I'm just gonna stop right there.
  Why??? One of the best midwives I know is a male (CNM, phd)  He is actually the Head of the OB department (over all the other mw's and OB's) at the hospital where I work.  Do you also pause about what to say when your daughter says she wants to be a doctor when she grows up??   
I have been on a TON of parenting boards, and MDC is the meanest of the mean.  I am really only a member because there are a few good resources and info if you can weed through all the insane stuff.  I don't usually post or participate (been here since '06 and only have a couple hundred posts?) but a lot of times I'll be on here looking for something and a thread under "new posts" will catch my eye.  My jaw will often literally drop at how mean the women here are.  Only...
If you don't happen to make it to the hospital in time, they can always give antibiotics directly to baby afterwards, which is very effective. The unit I work on doesn't automatically do this, unless there are some increased risk factors (premature, previous GBS infected baby, GBS in urine).  Instead, what we do is admit baby as a "Step-Up" in the nursery.  It basically just means that we watch the baby extra close.  Check vitals more often, etc.  Baby is allowed to...
Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of arguing.  I'm just trying to put an alternative view out there besides the "GBS is no big deal, just give these natural treatments and everything will be fine" prevailing opinion on MDC.
The mother had a urine infection with it earlier in the pregnancy, for which she was given a course of antibiotics.  It's very possible the GBS could have re-invaded the urine again, but we don't know for sure whether she had that heavy of infection again when she gave birth. I absolutely agree with you that when it's in the urine, the risks go way up, but this certainly doesn't mean you should feel much safer just because you don't have it in your urine. Also, many...
The study being cited is an extremely small study group, and anyway, it has since been proven wrong by subsequent, larger studies.  The ONLY effective treatment for GBS is IV antibiotics during labor.  Not garlic, not hibiclens, not oral antibiotics, not IM abx.  Just IV meds.  And they are extremely effective.   GBS is serious and it hits hard and fast.  It's one of those things that once the baby has it, it's really hard to treat it, even with our modern medicine. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Emmeline II Have you requested that the nurse give the shots due to this issue? Since the widespread use of the vaccine, the majority of Hib cases are in the 2-3 year range. He doesn't use a nurse in his office. He does everything himself..weight, temps, injections, etc. Did the number of Hib cases in 2-3 yr olds actually increase, or did the number of cases in the lower age group decrease so much, that...
yes, I know, thank you.
I just don't feel comfortable giving so many vaccines and doses to a small infant. Especially since young infants usually aren't exposed to germs as much as toddlers are. I waited until 2 yrs with my first child, which I actually deeply regret now. Getting caught up on shots at the age of 2-4 is awful...traumatizing. With my next child, I did the ones I consider important in infancy (Hib, PCV) and then started catching up on the rest at 1 yr, to be completely caught up...