or Connect

Posts by eli janine

I'm reading PP, too, and while sometimes I'm really inspired and have great luck, other times I suck at it. I think the biggest hurdle for me is putting down all my other stuff and putting all of my energy into actually playing, instead of just "Uhm-hmm" all the time. I do a great job with reading together and even art projects, but the whole driving cars around the floor or Barbies or whatever leaves me feeling like I'd rather dig my own eyes out with a spork. I'm...
Another mama who's in the middle of it...I guess that means it's a pretty normal and common phase. We just keep on taking his hand and so gently brushing it across my face and his face, saying "Gentle hands, gentle touch" over and over. He still sometimes hits or kicks, and sometimes he'll smile a little bit impishly while I'm saying "Gentle, please! Touch mama gentle, please!" Sometimes if it's really not working I will put him down for a moment, saying, "I need you...
Oh, this is a really helpful thread! I'm taking notes, seriously, especially for all the sibling stuff! It's weird how my older son has reverted to screeching and snarling instead of verbal expression since he's been having conflicts with his non-verbal sibling (who communicates with screeches and snarls during the conflicts as well). I've been really trying to help him remember that even though Avery doesn't use a lot of words, he really does understand quite a few,...
I would just like to say that my son is 18 months, and I wouldn't think anything of him doing that. I mean, I would be upset that it happened, and a bit embarrassed, but I would totally know that he's just being a toddler. He doesn't have the cause and effect understanding right now to know that he was doing anything out of the range of acceptable. And he doesn't yet understand someone else's pain, but he's learning, slowly. He doesn't understand water and the fact...
I teach middle school, and I agree that it's EASIER to use GD with my students than with my own children sometimes. I mean, I guess it just seem obvious to me that in a school setting the teachers will do their best to treat their students respectfully and kindly and not resort to shaming, spanking, etc. It's not even an option, and most professional development programs on discipline are all about techniques that are pretty GD. Of course, they do not call it "gentle...
Avery sees every time I sit down as an opportunity to nurse, so I sit on the toilet, and he climbs right up and pulls up my shirt!
I'm still learning here, but I am a middle school teacher, and language like this really does help to get students to follow directions as a group during a transition period, like I might say, "Please take out a piece of paper and write today's date at the top." Then I might circulate the room saying, "All right, John's ready to go. Becca's got her paper out. Ooh, this whole row is following the directions!" Like that. It just helps kids who are not able to get...
I just want to offer a and say that my 4.5 y.o. ds has frequent meltdowns, too, and sometimes it send me into a really un-gentle place. I'm learning to step away from my reactions and be there for him, no matter how bizarre or over-the-top I feel his behavior is. An example from this evening: dh didn't feel like cooking this evening and also got some good news on the job-search front, so we ordered pizza to be delivered from a local pizza place. We don't get it...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy2caroline My 3 yr old was recently overheard yelling "Die, and never come back to life!" at a picture of Jesus. Am I a terrible person that this quote made me laugh so hard I peed a little? I can just see my son (4.5) saying something like that, and my jaw dropping to the floor, and him thinking, "Hey, that was a fun reaction I just got out of Mama!" I agree that there's nothing wrong with your son, but I know...
OK, so since you're answering my own unasked burning question about why the asterisk is in veg*n, why DO people use the asterisk in g*d? I've even seen it on church billboards...why would a church be afraid to use the word god?