or Connect

Posts by Roxswood

Ok, so I'm on the other side of the fence to pp, but we did perineal massage from about 34 weeks, and when my dd was born I had NO pain or tearing in my perineum, bizarre but I'm convinced now. All my pain was at the top and I had a slight tear in the side (further up than we had been massaging) that needed no stitches. I'd say for a first time Mom its worth doing, as long as you're gentle I don't think it can do any harm. We tried to do gentle stretching, to the point...
Hi, if you read the link about Baby led introduction to solids, the babies in the study were given basically whatever food they could pick up off their parents plates/from a variety offered and all of them instinctively seemed to avoid foods that they were allergic or intolerant to. I wouldn't worry too much about introducing foods one at a time as the actual amounts of each food they eat to begin with this way are much smaller usually, so they naturally get a slow...
My dh has punched holes in doors and walls when he's angry, but not once have I ever felt frightened of him, I know this is his way of dealing with it so it doesn't worry my iyswim. He has never felt even close to spanking dd luckily, although I have but then he was raised in a house with no spanking whereas I was spanked regularly. Its hard not to spank when thats all you've ever known, its not just an anger issue I don't think, but a lack of other skills in dealing with...
Can you buy sterilising tablets over here? In England they recommend using the stuff that we use to sterilise baby's bottles. Its called Milton Fluid/Tablets and its also used to making water drinkable so its not toxic when diluted.
The odd thing about water is that it tends to speed things up, by allowing your body to relax and get into a great position for birth.. but after a couple of hours it can slow things down if you're not really established. Hence the not before 5cm rule that lots of HP's seem to go by. I got in when I'd been in labour for 8 hours, and had been stuck at 4cm for the last 6 hours but within 2h45m my baby had been born so it definitely didn't slow anything down for me.
Be VERY careful about letting a midwife warm your baby's foot. There was a case recently in England of a midwife wearing gloves who scalded a baby's foot really badly because he couldn't feel the temp of the water through the gloves. Always insist on checking the temp of the water/diaper yourself as mistakes happen when busy professionals are involved, or just keep socks/sleepsuit with feet on your little one for a few hours beforehand, this worked just as well for my...
I would go with a stretchy wrap, such as a Moby. They're relatively inexpensive (and have great resale value if you don't get on with it) and they're so versatile. You can tie it on you and just pop the baby in and out throughout the day and you can use them in lots of positions. They're really comfy up until around 20lbs when you could use something a little more supportive but here's the link to the instruction page for the...
I don't know if your older child already does this, but one thing I loved as a child was going to Brownies/Brigade (I don't know what they are called here, girl scout type clubs I guess) but just something that your 9 year old can be involved in, without too much pressure to learn anything that her siblings are not a part of so she gets some time away?
I do Benadryl too.. sometimes it helps me get back on track after my nights are getting later and later I can get an early night with the help of Benadryl and kind of reset my system. I probably take one tablet every month or so.
Totally agree with all the above, esp the last poster saying you're afraid to let anyone babysit. I have only left her twice with anyone other than dh and only once she was old enough to decide for herself whether she wanted to stay with them or come with me. My family really don't get the way we do things, and no matter how often I come up with evidence for my style of parenting they prefer to disbelieve it it seems.