or Connect

Posts by Igraine

Easter Seals could help with an advocate, it depends. Below are a few more links. I think you need to get some phone numbers together from these websites and just start calling places. Websites are not always transparent and sometimes you need to just start cold calling. This usually leads to other connections. Time consuming, but worth it. Good...
26) Heartless by Gail Carriger. A wee bit of steampunk lit. These book are funny, creative and a nice break from some of the more serious topics. 
25) The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Fay.   This was such a great read! I loved all the details about NYC in 1845, the characters, the bits and pieces of history. And a very enjoyable mystery too!     “It is 1845 in New York City and its first police force has hit the streets at the same time the potato famine has hit Ireland. As the Irish pour into the city so does the hatred, bigotry, and violence that Timothy Wilde, a newly hired copper star, is expected to...
We homeschool and had a few people who did not get it initially. But everyone both family and friends just accepts it as is now.    I believe the problem comes in when you present your justification for it in a way that may indirectly (or directly in some case) criticize their own choices. So just be prepared for that. It is not your job to make everyone feel good about what you decide for your family. I just know that the really tough conversations I had with people...
We also celebrate the holidays and milestones without Santa, the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy. Like a previous poster, we talk about what certain holidays mean to people we love, what they mean in historical terms and we make up our own traditions too. We are not Christians, but have many family members and friends who are so we also discuss the religious aspect of holidays versus the historical aspect. My 6 year old and I were walking to an Easter Egg Hunt in town...
24) Hunger Games Suzanne Collins. Wow! This was a fun book to read! I could not stop once I started. On to the others in the series.
23) Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly. Another YA book about a teen girl with Aperger's and ADHD. It was an ok story. Some adult themes that some parents may not want their kids to read (sexual activity between teens and drug use). 
22) No Country for Old Men. Cormac McCarthy. I needed some adult lit after all that YA reading. A good book, but I am still not interested in seeing the movie. Chigurh's character is way too intense for me and I have heard that Javier Bardem's performance was fierce. 
21) Waiting For No One by Beverley Brenna. Another book about a youth with Asperger Syndrome, I have been reading a bunch of books about young with various challenges for my job. I am interested in having a list of books for youth and families to read if they are struggling with a mental health issue, learning disability or other challenges that impact their ability to function in their home, school or community. 
We loved the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Series. There were a few scary parts, but my kids were reading aloud with us so there was not issue. If she could manage Harry Potter all the way through, she will be fine with these books!   http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/harperchildrens/kids/gamesandcontests/features/chroniclesofancientdarkness/default.aspx   Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit by Nahoko Uehashi. This has also been made into an anime series. The...