or Connect

Posts by Igraine

18) All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopmann. This is a very nice book talking about Asperger Syndrome and a readable and understandable way for kids. And lots of adorable pictures of cats.   19) MIndblind by Jennifer Roy. The world according to a teen age boy with Asperger Syndrome. It was a decent story. I did enjoy how the author portrayed how the young man became overwhelmed by social cues, sensory overloads and various other situations where he had to...
Sounds a bit like "Moon Beneath Her Feet" by Clysta Kinstle. It has been a long time since I read it though, so I maybe way off.   
17) Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen.   This was a very easy read and I would recommend for teachers or homeschooling parents or anyone who needs a little dose of compassion. I think it would be a great discussion book for bullying too because it really looks at the whole picture. I wish I had some teens in my life who would read it because I would love to talk about it people in that age group.   "Within Cole Matthews lies anger, rage and hate. Cole has...
I just put a chunk of money down on my car loan. I have 3 paychecks this month, so that loan will be paid off by the end of  March! We did need to dip into the EF earlier in the month, so I will be replenishing that as well. We are moving right along with the Snowball plan and it feels really good. What we have left in order of smallest to biggest balances: 1) Home Equity Line of Credit 2) My consolidated student loans and 3) the mortgage. Once I have the car loan paid I...
16) The Wolf Gift, Anne Rice. I finished it! It did improve closer to the end. It wasn't bad, but I did not enjoy it as much as I was hoping. Let us see if she does another. I would read the next one.
15) Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.   I enjoyed Star Girl by the same author. This story is Star Girl's letter to Leo about what her life is like since she moved away. I enjoyed it, but it is not a must read. After I finished the first book I remember thinking, "I wish I knew what happened to those characters". I needed something light and enjoyable. I am reading Anne Rice's "The Wolf Gift" and it has been tough. I like her older stuff (The Mayfair Witch books and...
That really stinks about the school! It might be worth contacting the State Education Department to see if they have any ideas. Did he receive any early intervention services, Rainbow Preschool, any other service providers at all (mental health providers, every hospitalized, even his medical records might have something from his pediatrician)?   I really think you and your family need an advocate. Even though you have the paperwork, it is still going to be tough. A...
I asked about where you live because each state has their own guidelines. Even though I have some  experience in this field, I work in NYS which is very different. I did a quick search and I found a few things that may help. (Sorry if you already have any of this).    Below is a link to the Idaho Standards so you are prepared for whatever information SSI and other organizations. Starting on page 126 breaks it down for...
You bet fremontmama! I always wonder if there is some "protocol" about starting new threads when it is a continuous discussion Month to Month like this one.   Can't wait to see what everyone has been reading. I am looking for some new ones.  
That IQ is tough. Not low enough to ensure he has services, not high enough for him to be able to function independently.   ARC has a variety of adults services. Their workshops and clinics can assist with testing, job skills training. Rehab Centers also do testing that may help. All these things cost money so getting him insurance is probably the best option as the pp's stated.   Getting into living situations that cater to adults with DD can be the...