or Connect

Posts by Igraine

6) Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E Frankl. This book took a bit longer to read than I anticipated. I really needed to read it when I was uninterrupted. Each word and sentence made me really consider his experience, his losses and how he used everthing to formulate his "Logotherapy". I am very interested in reading more of his writings about "Logotherapy" as it focuses on assisting people in finding what the meaning is in their life so they can move forward instead...
  I agree about Bel Canto. I felt a bit ripped off. I had a completely different experience with "State of Wonder". I hope you enjoy it.    
I really enjoyed that one too!
5) Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante. This was a very interesting book.   "And then there is Dr. Jennifer White, who narrates Alice LaPlante’s first novel. By the time “Turn of Mind” begins, she is losing her wits to Alzheimer’s disease and is the prime suspect in her best friend’s murder. She is as unreliable as they come. Neither of these facts is fully clear to Jennifer, of course. Her illness has forced her to retire from a celebrated career as an orthopedic...
How can that be possible!? I am concerned too about the things going in in Vermont that may ban the philosophical exemption for vaccines. So much is going on that I am having a hard time keeping track. My physician, who has been very flexible with our family, closed his practice and combined with another one. I am worried about how my children's vaccine status will be interpreted. Lots to think about.
4) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling. We are reading these aloud as a family. My son is reading them independently and is up to book 5. So we are having a lot of fun having our "Harry Potter" discussions.  
3) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. I, of-course, loved this one as well. Such a ride! I also read that his "life companion", Eva Gabrielsson, is trying to finish the 4th book. but she is fighting a legal battle with Stieg's father and brother.
I loved "Little Bee" too. Many people I know who read it, had such a hard time with the violence that they were unable to get to the really beautiful parts. I read it twice and did have to skim the "incident" the second time, but I still enjoyed it very much.    
2) The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.   Thoroughly addicted. Up VERY late the last couple of nights finishing this. I have the next book and know I will be very sad when I finish knowing there will be no more books to follow. 
1) Someday this pain will be useful to you by Peter Cameron.   http://www.npr.org/2011/12/26/143197825/teenage-struggles-in-a-painful-post-sept-11-world   A very quick read, but I really enjoyed it. A slightly different take on "teen angst" and the transition time between ending your high school years and moving on to college.