or Connect

Posts by Igraine

69) One last one for me too, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by  Stieg Larsson. I am probably one of the last people to read this! It has been so popular, which sometimes forces me to not read books! But I want to see the movie (Christopher Plummer, Daniel Craig....how can it go wrong). I really enjoyed it. I read it in three days. I was totally addicted to the story. I am looking forward to the next ones.   And thank you for this great group! I am so pleased with...
66) The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is a novel by Catherynne M. Valente, published in May 2011. It follows a 12 year old girl named September as she is spirited away from her average life to Fairyland. This book was very well written, the images the author described were beautiful and clear. I think, after finishing it, that I do prefer science fiction to fantasy. There were some interesting parallels to "Wee Free Men", but the books...
65) The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. I enjoyed this book very much. Lots of laughs and some really beautifully written lines about being true to who you are. The main character is a 9 year old girl and she is just a wonderful character. If you like a wee bit of fantasy with a really great story, I highly recommend this one.
64) "This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection" by Carol Burnett. I have always loved her and I grew up watching her show! My librarian suggested it as I was looking for light and funny. It fit the bill. She tells stories about how she got into show business and the funny stories (and some sad stories too) on the way.
Hi Cathe,    Harris Burdick is (by normal standards) a weird book. We, in my family, are a little into odd stories and things and my kids were even saying the stories were odd. Some were even a little darker than I would have liked, but it made for some interesting conversations with my kids. I would encourage you to read it before you take the leap. 
62) "The Chronicles of Harris Burdick" by Chris Van Allsburg. This was really fun, if not a little weird. We read this as a family and left us scratching our heads a few times as the stories are a wild!    http://www.hmhbooks.com/features/harrisburdick/   63) "The Shepard, the Angel and Walter, the Christmas Miracle Dog" by Dave Berry. A nice, light story after "Sybil"!  
61) "Sybil Exposed" Debbie Nathan.   Such an interesting book. One that I would love to discuss with others. It was written in such a different way. She explored the life of "Sybil"- Shirley Mason, the psychiatrist Dr. Wilbur and the writer of the book, Flora Schreiber and how their three lives come together in order to create "Sybil". And the powerful influences the fame of "Sybil" had on each of these women's lives.   It is also an interesting examination of...
60) Bridget Jones's Diary  a 1996 novel by Helen Fielding     I never read this when it was so popular in the 1990's. It was an easy, light read. I laughed and enjoyed it.   Anyone read: Debbie Nathan’s “Sybil Exposed” is about psychiatric fads, outrageous therapeutic malpractice, thwarted ambition run amok, and several other subjects, but above all, it is a book about a book. Specifically, that book is “Sybil,” purportedly the true story of a woman with 16...
59) "Away" Amy Bloom.   I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and enjoyed how the author told this rather outlandish tale in a believable way. It is a very emotional, heart breaking story at times and very funny at others. Below is a link that further explains it.   http://mostlyfiction.com/world/bloom.htm
I love Isabel Allende! Her female characters are strong, inspirational and I can truly relate to them regardless of what time period they are from.   While I understand Marquez, I do not enjoy him as much. I really was trying to add more books to a big list of classics and I am proud of myself for reading a least two of his books.