or Connect

Posts by wombat

Quote: Originally Posted by LeAnnie I also do not buy tissues-drives my mom and kids crazy! I tell them to just use tp or a cloth wipe to blow noses. I'm such a meanie, I quit buying juice unless it is on major sale. We just drink water and a little milk/soy milk, or tea. That was also not too popular at home, but is healthier. I have actually heard of people not using tp! Can't imagine, but hey whatever makes the budget work! I don't...
I hate doing winter parties... The last few years we've rented a room at our local community center. I much prefer 1 flat charge than paying per person. And I hate the time limits and rules at party places. Our center charges $50 an hour for a nice big room if you tell them it's a kids party. And then we're pretty free to do what we want. We just organise some games, do a pinata, and the kids have a lot of fun. It's a lot of work for me running the games,...
Seriously, they do not like you asking too many questions. I asked a midwife about whether GBS goes away by labor time, and without explaining anything to me, she just responded with "do you realise your baby could die". I just wondered whether it was worth repeating the test. I asked an OB there the same question, and he agreed I could repeat the test. I am not super crunchy but I like to be very informed. I decided to do antibiotics with both my GBS+ births but...
I haven't been there for a few years but they were quite pro VBAC. Just call the L&D ward and ask them. They're still a hospital though so if you deviate from a textbook labor, they're not going to be very supportive. I ended up with a botched c/s there so I personally hate the place. It's a training hospital and you get whoever is on call. That's the worst part of it. It might just be a Navy thing, but they really don't cope well with you questioning...
I think anything that needs a candy thermometer is intermed. to advanced. You really gotta watch it, you can ruin a batch very quickly with little ones around to distract you. I'd be scared to have 3 kids that age in the kitchen with me with boiling candy but then I'm a klutz. I tried candy apples once with my 5 year old. She couldn't really help because you have to work really quickly with hot candy. You can twist hard candy when it cools a bit. ...
I'm military - the MW or OB would do US at the appt. Both babies, I had Level II US done by a Perinatologist at the same hospital. Not sure which US readings they made those estimates on, but they were way off both times. And these were really experienced staff at a major hospital.
in my experience, it has seemed to follow the medical practitioner's bias. my dd born full term at 40w was estimated to be 7 1/2 lbs. She was only 6 lb 3oz. my ds born prem at 36w was estimated to be only 5lbs. He was 6lb 8oz. THAT WAS BIGGER THAN MY FULL TERM BABY. I'd assume +/- 1 lb.
LOL, I was just thinking about putting mine up too. I have this 4 day long weekend and I have time to do it now. Dh is deployed and due back at Thanksgiving. It's going to be so busy when he gets back and he's gonna be real tired. I'd like to get it up now, so it's one less thing to do later. But I just can't bring myself to do it - I hate all that Xmas stuff out in the shops already.
In restaurants I've often been served celeriac pureed. Yummy. Usually it was with some meat and jus or sauce.
I've read a few news articles in the last few years that mention deaths from staph combined with flu and chicken pox are increasing. I got the impression the strains of staph are becoming more deadly and that combined with an immune lowering illness can be fatal. But it's still pretty rare. It's a tragic story and it shows that flu can be deadly, even when you're healthy. I'm not going to question how healthy the girl was. I do believe the flu can kill...