or Connect

Posts by panda

Great site - thanks for sharing it! I'm especially drawn to The Baker's Table and Huachuca Landscape. Beautiful.
  Way to go - paint on!   I definitely get inspired by other people's paintings, in books, on the web, occasionally in person.   I've always loved drawing and painting, but for a while I was too hung up about what to paint, and why, and what it should mean, to the point that I'd never get started.    A year ago I decided to make one painting a week (inspired by all the blogging daily painters on the web but not that ambitious!). When I paint regularly it...
Where can I buy walnut oil? I recently tried my old traditional oils after a year of using water soluble oils. I like the traditional ones better, and I'm carefully using Gamsol odorless mineral spirits. I use the Gamsol to rinse my brushes between colors and before I clean the brushes with soap after painting. I'd like to try walnut oil, though.
I came back to update this thread and realized there were posts here I missed. Thanks for reading and posting.   I do wonder if she senses my mixed feelings about school. I don't want to argue that homeschooling isn't a good option, or even isn't right for us. But I do stay very positive and encouraging about school. I did visit the classroom and it was a great experience. I'll try to go again. It was a great relief to me to see her so confident and happy at school,...
Hi, I haven't posted in a long time. My dd is 7 now, and started first grade last fall. She did half day kindergarten last year. I knew the switch to full day, at a new school, would be difficult, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Everything at school seems pretty good, she likes the kids and her teacher. She sometimes complains that it's too loud, or challenging, but she's doing very well. She cries and gets down in the evening and usually in the morning too,...
I've read that too, that if solvents are your only concern, you can use regular oils and just clean up with soap and water. And then your range of colors is bigger, and I've heard wm paints are more expensive. I want to try Gamblin oils, eventually. Things that help me find the time to paint: - Having something started. It's momentum. If I get some time and don't know what I'm going to do I freeze up and end up cleaning something instead. And I hate to clean. But if...
Awesome! Do you have a web site with your work on it? It's great that you have experience with galleries and with selling your work. I haven't sold my work but I hope to one day. When I started painting again (with kids in the house) I was concerned about toxicity, and I'm still somewhat confused about it. I started with acrylics, which I like. I choose the AP nontoxic pigments. I tried some "open" acrylics, which didn't seem that much different to me. Then I tried the...
Want to post your recipe? Or is it a secret? I have a recipe from Traditional Foods (borrowed from a friend), that just has rye flour and water sitting around for a week (adding more rye flour and water each day) for seven days, and that's your sourdough starter, no yeast at all. But the recipe itself says it makes a heavy bread, so I'm not too excited about it. My MIL makes very good starter bread but she says it's not sourdough and I think she adds yeast each time. I...
No advice - I'm in a very similar boat! I'm trapped in the office while my almost 4yo is crying and yelling "I want to eees!" (her word for nurse). I have a 4 week old baby. I'm trying to set limits for my older daughter - nursing to wake up, nursing to bed and maybe once in the afternoon. We talk about it and when dd is feeling good and fairly rational, our talks go well... Well, that was last night now. Mid-way through writing that post DH had had enough and asked me...
Yeay! Congratulations. Welcome baby Gavin!