or Connect

Posts by zjande

Something that works for me laundry-wise, is that I really don't fold anything anymore. As things come out of the dryer, I fold the bath towels, hang all my husband's clothes immediately so he can find them for work, and everything else gets sorted into piles and tossed into drawers and bins.   For example, my 5 and 7 yr old sons share clothing. They have 3 bins in their room- one for tops (shirts), bottoms (pants, shorts, undies), and socks. I throw all their...
We also drive a Toyota Sienna. It seats 8 and I love the thing. I have no idea what sort of mileage it gets though...   We have an old clunky farm truck as well.
For me, clutter and disorganization cause me to feel grumpy and distracted. Organization is really important to me. It is also a constant work in progress and we do have our very bad days (and weeks...).   The #1 thing that helps me be successful in this area is extreme decluttering. Keeping the entire home super simple. Just not owning as many things as I'm tempted to. Not as much furniture, toys, knickknacks, clothes, books, and kitchen items I don't use...
  Tabitha! :) I recognize you from your blog!  We spoke a few times, my blog is thisblessedlife-aubrey.blogspot.com. How exciting that you're pregnant! We lived in Montclair when I had my 3rd, and even that blew some minds. Congratulations!!   bumkinsmum, I've seen you around the country living forum. :) We have similar lives- we also have 10 acres, grow our own food and milk, homeschool/birth and every other thing you listed. :)     Welcome everyone!
I am sitting directly on the fence in between done and not done. And I think about it a lot. And my husband says he is done. But is not at all interested in permanent BC methods or hormones. And I'm about to turn 40. And I'm terrified of miscarriages. And I want to be able to work outside on our homestead- my dream come true. But am always too busy in the baby or pregnancy or both stage. But I'm soo sad to think of never doing it again. Never experiencing all those...
Well, I don't have anything scientific to share, or detailed statistics or anything, but I can just share what we do. It's pretty simple and you've already mentioned it- we wash our hands every time we come inside (& work constantly on instilling that habit in our children), and never wear shoes in the house. We take all our shoes off right inside our doorway. That's really about it. We don't use any harsh cleansers, I am personally not a fan of hand sanitizers (although...
Welcome JoyfulChaosMom! We too are trying to raise as much of our own food as we can as well. Do you keep a blog?  I'm always so excited to meet other farming large families. :)   purplerose, I have 21 years between my first and my last.  I had my first at 17. I don't recall having more energy then than I do now... but my memory is so poor these days that I don't recall much at all. LOL   I know that I am way more patient and content than I was then.
I've had very few negative comments aimed directly at me. I've seen plenty online of course, directed at the Duggars or large families in general. I have all sorts of strong opinions on "over population" and the junk angry anonymous people love to spew towards lg families online, but the are not politically correct opinions.   What I hear 100% of the time when I say that I have 7 children is "you look way too young to have that many kids". And then they nearly burst...
  That's great! :)   We had to bring our bum lamb with us to my sister-in-law's wedding. :p I drove around all over town once during the winter with a frozen dead sheep on the top of my van without noticing. lol   Just recently I was driving with my 5 year old through our nearest town which has a population of 250 and he got all excited and said "wow! There is so much traffic here mom! Are we in the city?" lol And actually, that was the first day he'd ever seen a fish...
We have a whole two weeks experience bee keeping!   So far, so good- only 3 of us have gotten stung! LOL   We found a guy on Craigslist selling hives and bees. Turned out he was practically our neighbor so he came and delivered them. :)