or Connect

Posts by zjande

My preschooler recently turned 5. His school days are pretty basic- each day I have him read a few short sentences or word lists from the The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Your Child to Read (or something very close to that title..) or a beginning Bob book, practice writing a handful of letters and numbers (I don't push "perfect" penmanship at this age at all), and do about half a workbook page of simple math problems (addition or subtraction).   Those are the...
We adore the Apologia science textbook series. I have an extremely science minded 9th grader and Apologia's Biology course was right up his alley- very thorough, not dumbed down, challenging, and written in such an attention grabbing way. I've started my 1st grader in the Astronomy book this year and it is his favorite school subject. I plan to use them all the way through high school with my littles.   We also read a large number of books from the library, read a...
Soo exciting!! Congratulations.   Naming your farm is such a personal thing, it's like naming your baby! :) My husband and I both brainstormed a list together. Then we asked our friends and family to vote on them. Then I even posted a poll on the Homesteading Today message boards. Funny thing is, we ended up with the very first name I ever mentioned- the name I loved that I had named our home school many years before, LOL! We call our homestead Rootsong Farm. I just...
This will be my 4th time tandem nursing. :) My milk always dries up around 15-18 weeks but my toddlers keep going strong until birth. Each of my toddlers have such different personalities and all 3 so far responded to tandeming very differently. One was very aggressive and would get angry and jealous when I would nurse the newborn without him attached to the other side. Another was sooo laid back and easily adjusted to the new baby & our nursing schedule. The other one...
I haven't read the thread but wanted to leave a quick reply. I have 4 boys, none of them circumcised. I believe that male circumcision is the exact same thing as female circumcision. If we are not prepared to remove our daughter's clitoris, we shouldn't desire to remove our son's foreskin.
I love to do lists! And I love organizing and preparing for new babies. But, this time I need to do so little that it's not even worth writing a to do list. :(    lol   Here it is:   find a used dresser to buy order a few things for the birth wash stuff   That's it.   Since this is baby #7, there's just not much left that we don't already have- in abundance. :p
  Wow Brees_mama, you're right! :D  I was in that DDC with you! My little 5 year boy is doing fantastic, and has recently picked up reading. It's so neat to see!   This is very off topic. :p I hope you are doing well!  (I've had 2 babies since dec 07 and am expecting another in the spring! :)  )   I am sooooo overdue for a blog post- we had a calf AND a lamb born! They are SSOOOOO cute and I desperately want to share pictures and tales in my blog. Soon, soon!
I had my ultrasound today, too. I was sooo fun! I did find out the gender, however my husband and I keep it a secret until birth. We like to torture everybody like that.  BUT, I was just too excited NOT to post about it! LOL!!   And now to pick out a name..... 
    Ooooh, that is such a good point. I'd greatly prefer a provider that didn't have a TV, or at least any channels (I owned a TV but never had cable. We watched a Disney movie each Thursday, otherwise the TV was never on). I have always despised TV.   I can actually see that issue alone being a deciding factor for me, personally. If there wasn't a home available that did not have TV, I might choose a center as well.   Blah. I hate TV. Did I mention that? 
My favorite message board is at MOMYS.com - "Mothers of Many Young Siblings". It is a Christian site, full of awesome, helpful moms of many. Lots of new posts everyday. :)   A fun site to get sucked into is this one, where blogs belonging to Mega Families (with 7 - 54 children) are posted: Mega-Family Blogs.