or Connect

Posts by wagamama

We are living in Ethiopia at the moment and the milk products here -- milk, cream, butter -- have a very pungent, cheesy taste. I asked some local people why that is, and they said it is because the cows eat grass. But i have had grass-fed milk in other countries that did not taste cheesy. Also, I know that not all cows are purely grass fed here -- many are given supplemental feed these days, grains and so on. I'm thinking myabe it's a particular item in their feed -- a...
I just go to youtube, and then type in the name of the show. Then various choices pop up.   Glad to hear you are OK. I am in Kanagawa - OK too, but worried about possible effects of radiation on the kids. We have a big list of instructions from our yoichien, like "don't go outside on rainy days", "don't go out the day after a rainy day", "wear long sleeves and long pants", "don't drink milk, eat eggs, green leafy vegetables ... "  Sigh.  
Hi, I live in Japan too. Three awesome cartoons for kids, that you can watch for free on youtube are: Caillou, Peep and Quack and Charlie and Lola. Caillou would be young for a 7-year-old, I guess, but it's a sweet Canadian cartoon about the everyday life of a 4-year-old. Peep and Quack is PBS -- funny and a bit educational. Charlie and Lola is a British cartoon -- it is so amusing. I love it more than the kids do. Start with "I will never not ever eat a tomato". I see...
I read your site and it was very informative. I was an exchange student in Ecuador many years ago, and the family I stayed with gave me the papaya cure -- papaya seeds ground up in a blender with a bit of water. Used alone, it wasn't completely effective, though. Perhaps I needed to take other herbs at the same time, like the cloves you mentioned on your website.
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful and informative comments.
My kids are 5 and 3, and they were scared by Ponyo -- so much that they refused to watch it again! Ponyo's father is scary! Finding Nemo was also too scary for them. :(   The only DVDs we've had success with are Peep and the Big Wide World and Richard Scarry's Busy People.
Thank you everyone ... I am still undecided, but all the comments are helpful.   Can anyone tell me why the OPV is preferable? I have read the opposite here in this forum!   I was in a bookstore yesterday browsing through a book on randomness theory (forgot the title). The author was talking about risk-taking, and he said that when assessing risk, you don't look at the "normal" cases but the "abnormal" ones. In other words, you don't look at the 100,000 kids who...
I'm 42 with two young kids, and have been feeling "in crisis" about aging for awhile. My face has changed. It really has. I have really prominent nasolabial folds, if you know what those are :) And I have trouble even buying clothes anymore, because I don't like the way they look w/ my older-looking face. And I have been so tired, raising two babies the AP way. I only started sleeping well again last month, after 5 1/2 years. It has really been hard .. and yet I...
Bokonon, thanks for the link. I found this info on the IPV vaccine:   -grown on monkey kidney cells -supplemented with newborn calf serum -other ingredients:  0.5% of 2-phenoxyethanol and 0.02% of formaldehyde per dose as preservatives -Neomycin, streptomycin and polymyxin B are used in vaccine production, and although purification procedures eliminate measurable amounts, less than 5 ng neomycin, 200 ng streptomycin and 25 ng polymyxin B per dose may still be...
Thank you everyone. I'm considering the IPV, will do more reading. I do think that, living in Addis, the chances of getting it are very small ... we may do some traveling though. I guess I felt like being completely unvaxed was a kind of "gift" to my daughter from me. A gift of health, so to speak. So I am sad to "ruin" it by having her vaxed.   To add to the confusion, I have read on this forum that some people believe that polio is not really "polio", but a...