or Connect

Posts by NewCrunchyDaddy

Well, to be fair, fremontmama, half of these are audiobooks and I have five to six hours Monday through Thursday at work absolutely by myself and I fill the silence with audiobooks, so I can burn through them pretty fast. ;)   Finished Book 2 in the Song of Ice and Fire series, I'm totally hooked on these books. Martin's world of Westeros is so amazingly complete ... just don't get too attached to any one character, they have a bad habit of being killed off...
I didn't have a goal ... it took me forever to get back into the swing of reading, depression is a helluva thing, and so the fact that I started reading regularly again this year was goal enough. You know?
Subscribing
Three new ones:     FEBRUARY 1. Batman: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka MARCH 2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant 3. The Shimmer by David Morrell 4. Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated by Ebba Segerberg 5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Ageyman 6. Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman 7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 8. Catching Fire by...
I don't remember where or when I stopped last, so I'm just going to start over:   FEBRUARY 1. Batman: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka MARCH 2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll by Simon Messingham, read by David Tennant 3. The Shimmer by David Morrell 4. Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated by Ebba Segerberg 5. Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier, read by Freema Ageyman 6. Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman 7. The...
  The Shining. No contest. Not only is it my favorite, but in my opinion it is his absolute best ... his third novel and it was the absolute high point of his career, he's never written anything better.
21. The Dark Tower, Book Two: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King read by Frank Muller   --Knee-deep in The Dark Tower saga now, and I had forgotten how much I loved these early books in the series. Especially since Muller is narrating them, he really had no equal when it comes to reading audiobooks. King is at the top of his game in these early Tower books, and while he is still as passively racist and misogynistic as always, the man sure knows how to tell...
19. Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King read by William Hurt and Stephen King   --This collection is in the top five of my Most Favorite Stephen King books. There's just something about it, especially the second (and titular) novella, that I find fascinating (the 60s are a fascinating period of time to me). This audiobook edition is interesting because William Hurt's rhythm and cadence in reading is very ... odd. Not that it's bad, but he pauses in odd places and...
18. Star Wars: Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber   --Now, I'm as geeky as the next but I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, however through some zombies in the mix and I'm there. Death Troopers is a very scary (read: claustrophobic, a zombies in space story is a surprisingly frightening prospect given that you're confined to the same location as the ghouls) and gruesome story, something you might not expect from a Star Wars story (things like climbing a mountain of body...
    17. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks   --What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? I love this book. The world Brooks has created is absolutely fascinating and engrossing and is one of the most terrifying and "realistic" depictions of the zombie apocalypse that I have come across in fiction.       Books for 2012: 1. Batman: No Man's Land, 2. Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll, An Exclusive Audio Adventure, 3. The Shimmer,...