or Connect

Posts by floobear

When I was a girl I wanted princess and barbie stuff. My parents would not spend a penny on it! Not one cent. They allowed me to fantasize all i want and if one of my friends gave me a sad chewed up version of Barbie, they didnt care. (How clever of them!!) I didnt like my treatment at the time but now it seems okay. I grew up and got married and had children, but I never once doted on the notion of my wedding day. I never developed a love for jewelry or shopping. (I...
I would never educate anyone what is okay and not okay to give as gifts without being asked. It may give them joy to give something even if its gaudy. If someone asks, however, I am happy to share information. I have done this many times with my inlaws. They ask, I share, they still buy a bunch of cheap plastic crap. I say thank you for thinking of us. If the children want to play with it, I let them. As soon as it's out of sight, I donate or try to return to a...
Quote: Originally Posted by secretresistance Also, if my daughter's life dream is to marry the person she'd have to marry in order to become a princess, um, I'd think I had failed in a fundamental way. Am I misreading? I don't know if you're misreading anything or not. If my daughter insisted she wanted to be a princess, I would go out of my way to share what I know about real princesses and see if she still wants that. The main problem...
I think superhero and princess items are silly but at least there are real princesses in the world. If a girl aspires to be one, she just might. Why crush her dreams? Are such dreams just too darn impractical? Queen Noir, Princess Grace, Princess Masako were all commoners before marriage and they were/are very real and have done some sort of good in the world through charities and being mothers. Last time I checked no one can really fly, cast webs, or stop trains or...