or Connect

Posts by Northern Mama

I also live in Canada, but in the Yukon. I am privledged to have a good friend who is a lay midwife. As midwifery is not covered by health care in the Yukon I do pay for this service, but happily. By paying from my own pocket I maintain complete control over my pre-natal, birth, and postnatal care. My partner and I often laugh that we are paying so much money to have someone not intervene. It is definitely worth exploring who is available in the Toronto area. Ask lot's of...
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have talked with my midwife about the hospital. I didn't have a doctor and I asked my midwife if she felt it would be good to have a back-up doctor. There is only one doctor in town who is supportive of midwifery services but her practice is full so I hadn't considered it an option. However, my midwife told me she has an open policy for pregnant women. so I made an appointment. Its taken 6 weeks but I'll see her on Friday. Truthfully,...
I am pregnant with my first baby and looking forward to a homebirth. I really never considered going to the hospital and feel quite confident about being at home. However, I feel a certain pressure from friends that I need to be open to the reality that I might be transferred to the hospital, although my midwife says she never advocates this. But a few friends who have birthed with this midwife have made the choice themselves to make the hospital transfer. I feel like I...
I've had craniosacral therapy done for myself and highly recommend it. I find it very gentle non-invasive therapy that sometimes feels so gentle its hard to belive anything is actually being done on my body. At least this is the way my practitioner is. In two treatments my wrist pain I had for years was gone. As well, some digestive issues were cleared up with this therapy. I have heard that it is quite good for infants too.