or Connect

Posts by Tanibani

I'm on the anti-video games side. I disagree with the POV of the link you provided Benj. What this guy is saying, I would pay more attention to... TV plays a role in youth violence, expert says Quote: "The military conditions human beings to kill using simulators and social conditioning, but it does so with discipline," he said. "We are doing the same thing with video games to children without any of the safeguards." Here is the gentleman's...
Quote: Originally Posted by mckennasmomma Before I was a mom I was a professional mountain bike racer for 7 years and I've always felt that the one thing women mountain bikers missed out on was riding bmx-type bikes to learn the how-to's of true bike handling. My feeling is that of all things, let kids ride bikes. I'm in this camp. My 9 yr old son just got a BMX bike. I really didn't know what I was buying and then when I realized OMG I...
I'm fine with that. Now my 2nd question is do you guys think I was "an idiot" for suggesting it in the first place?
A few weeks ago I wrote an e-mail to my son's 3rd grade teacher and I volunteered to wash down all the kids' chairs for the next class coming in. Why? Because the seats are usually dirty (actually - this class isn't bad) and we did it in preschool and I thought it was a good idea. I cc'd a friend and she thought I was crazy. Background - this teacher has not overtly mistreated my son, but she doesn't understand him at all. My son isn't perfect... he's a little...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinguk As a sidenote... I haven't had a clean room since my mom stopped cleaning my room when I was in elementary school. I'm 29 this year... I haven't had a clean room for over 20 years. Maybe it's just a mental thing. I've just subconciously given up on my room. I'm reading Louise Hay's book right now - You Can Heal Your Life. She says these are among the way we show that we do not love ourselves: - We live...
I have 2 Elfa closets - in my kids' rooms. They're OK. I didn't want a California Closet system particle board in my home, that's why I went with this. (Though a friend whose kids closets are tiny compared to mine, ordered California Closet system from Costco and I'm amazed how much she crammed into her tiny space! So I think I just need to get creative with my daughter's My time is valuable, and I suppose I could have gone to Lowe's (a million miles away) to...
It's so easy and I found the instructions/ideas here on MDC. I took one huge bulletin board, one huge (black) felt (not wool), cut it to fit the size of the bulletin board (from Staples). Then I took a spray adhesive found in craft stores. Sprayed the board. Attached the felt. Wah - lah, huge felt board. Do a search for my name and you might find the thread. Someone on MDC posted a cool pic of their board and that gave me the inspiration....
Can I ask a question? Will doing the Reimaging work clear my unconscious self-sabotage? I'm obsessing again about a problem and am wondering if a) I should do X or b) heal myself.
My son is 9 and was night nursed till he was 3 yrs and 3 months. He loves flouridated toothpaste (I don't). No cavities. My daughter is 5 and was night nursed for the same length of time. She is still using Tom's of Maine unflouridated toothpaste. BUT I've been horrible about brushing her teeth. I can see a little decay in between 2 teeth in the front. No cavities. I had a bunch of cavities as a child and was on formula & bottles as a baby. I attribute the...
Aggression is hard-wired into boys. Violence is taught. Parenting teacher at our preschool co-op said that and she was quoting an author - Michael Gurian. My then 3.5-yr-old son went through a phase of loving princess dresses. That lasted a few months. But his attractions to guns and swords has been more long lasting. He's 9 now and still picks up a blaster from time to time to pretend play. I wrote the following to friends in an e-mail when my son just turned...