or Connect

Posts by blondeviolin

My oldest is slowly learning to read.  She has wanted to since about 3.5, but hasn't had the awareness to blend letters properly.  We did sit down and do 100EZ lessons to teach the blending.  While I learned to read using the book and didn't mind it, she seemed to get bored with it.  She's now asking for lessons and help reading (we are past BOB books, but not much past them), so we're using the Funnix systembit that we downloaded (free in the month of January!).  I...
Hi!  There are LOTS of things to do here for kids.  The zoo, the science museum, unpluggits in Edmond, typical bouncehouse type places.  It's large enough that there are fun things to do, but small enough that you aren't in traffic a ton or whatever.  It really does feel like a small big city.   Anyway, pedi-wise we see Dr. Seanna Dean at the Oklahoma City Clinic at Midwest City.  We love this clinic.  They guarantee a same-day appointment if you call by 2pm.  Just...
Thanks Stephanie!  I think I'll start with A, but do it earlier than I thought.  Maybe I'll start sometime in February so we can take our time to go through A.  I didn't know there was a yahoo group, but I'll look through it!     I'm very pleased with the reviews I've heard from RS math so I'm actually happy that I've found something that sounds so good.  :)
I'm looking into this curriculum for my soon to be 5-year-old for kindy. If it were just her I would do level B. But, I have an inkling my 3.5 yo will want to sit in. He is mathematically minded, however, and is just about on par with what she is doing number-wise. They haven't had any formal instruction... For Kindy curric we're only planning on reading lessons and some math. The rest will come from life lessons.  With all of that said, should I get level A so that...
In theory, you can...But I'm severely asthmatic with a not great immune system (thank you, steroids). My husband has recieved flumist for the last four years for work (he's military) and I have never gotten the flu from him having the mist.
We do a lot of craft/unit-based play at my house. My oldest (4) is asking for more "school-ly things", so I'm actually leaning towards the idea of starting her with a few curriculums. She's learning to read with 100EZ Lessons. I've heard good things about HWOT so we're going to pick that up to compliment EZ lessons. Because she will still do unit-based activities with her brother I'm not worried about science or social studies or what have you. She can count to 16,...
We bought her some cool new underwear and let her try them out. She understands wet and dry and stinky and not and will come tell me when she's made a puddle, but she can't seem to pee on command yet. She understands that it should go in the potty and has had a few incidents where she's gone a little bit, then stopped and finished out on the potty. But if we stick her on the potty she just sits there like, "What am I supposed to do here?" And sometimes less than ten...
Today is the first day that I put Abby in underwear and told her no more diapers. She'll be 3 on Friday. From 9-1 she only went potty twice. Once when I told her it was time to sit on the potty and she did and went potty and once when she was playing outside. In the last almost-3 hours she's gone in her underwear four or five more times, including a BM. I'm going to up the amount of times I remind her to go potty (maybe every 15 minutes or so?), I think, and make it a...
My two are sharing a room right now and I sit with Emmett so he can fall asleep. But our rule is also that you have to be in your bed and quiet, but not asleep.
You know, we weaned Abby to a bottle at just under a year (like a week away). I "lost" all of the bottles at 2.5. Her teeth are perfect. My thinking was that if I hadn't dried up (also due to pregnancy) I would have nursed her to sleep anyway. Her bottle wasn't the only part of the nighttime routine, though. Now the rule for her is that she has to be in bed and she has to be quiet but she doesn't have to go to sleep. Emmett's 18 mos and takes a bottle to bed. ...