or Connect

Posts by fairydoula

my jaw dropped just from reading the abstract. Wow. I know anesthesiologists. They do not "not make eye contact" and they're usually very kind, and they explain that the "total cooperation" that they need is to avoid putting the drug in the WRONG PLACE in the woman's spine! Hello, they're putting a needle and then a tube in your spinal cord!! That's kinda dangerous if not done exactly right and with the full cooperation of the patient. They MUST cooperate to avoid injury....
Are you a midwife now, phathui5? I am asking, because you seem uninformed. And I'm concerned because you don't seem to understand basic physiology. The risk when a woman has low iron is not hemorrhage, but a lack of ability to recover FROM a hemorrhage. Do you know the difference? If you do not, that is concerning if you are in fact a midwife, serving other women. You should know that low iron means that O2 (oxygen) has difficulty entering the bloodstream, because of the...
I would guess that Brenda Passion Capps would argue that point with you. And the State of Oregon might too. I would imagine she wouldn't be as effective if she were in jail.  Why would you advocate for this type of care? Or are you just stirring the pot?
No one in the U.S. is ever "forced" to give birth with a CPM. No one.  There is a law that provides for ANY laboring pregnant mother to be treated at ANY ER in the country, whether or not she is insured, has citizenship, a job, a home, whatever. You can simply walk in and have your baby with the resources of the hospital at your disposal. It is ridiculous to say that anyone is "forced" to give birth with a CPM.      Insurance should be mandated, because until it is, CPM's...
like like like. If this was FB I'd like it again.  I totally agree with what you're saying as a future midwife! We need more midwives with your mindset! YAY for you! A grave mistake WAS made, and probably because in 30 years, and only ten or less births per year, she simply never came across that particular complication. That is why experience is SO important. Experience and education. CNM's might work primarily in hospitals, but they see hundreds of births in their first...
KmAndrews, so sorry to hear about it! Thanks for being brave enough to speak up though. Too many times women who have had bad experiences at home or birth centers are "hushed up" as if it's wrong or not "nice" to talk about when things go badly. I'm very sorry for the loss of your son's health.
This is such irresponsible advice. You just told her to LIE to her potential homebirth midwife, who will then be responsible for her and her baby's health and well-being. I am so SHOCKED. What could you be thinking?! As a former apprentice, I would be appalled and extremely concerned to have a client whom I discovered later obscured important medical records! Of course it's important to know these risk factors! They are RISKS! Mom -DO you really want to put your baby's...
So, if I've read this right, you had your baby almost a year ago, and your midwife owes you $600, because you already paid in full, and your insurance sent the money to her?  What's the dilemma? Lay or CPM type midwives are notorious for being bad businesswomen. It sucks, but there is no or very little training for them on advertizing or record keeping, bookkeeping, billing, etc. I know. I used to be an apprentice.  You need your $600 and you need to let her know you...
I am a birth and PP doula. I have a contract. It states very specifically what I do and do not do and the time-frames within which a client can expect those things to be done. For example, emails and phone calls are responded to within 24 hours, even if it's just to say "hi, I got your email, I'm really busy and will respond in length shortly". This lets the client know I am THERE for her, I am going to respond to her.  I currently only work on a volunteer basis, as I am...
How about becoming a CNM yourself? It's excellent training for both hospital, clinic, birth center and other work, you'll get excellent pay, excellent benefits and you'll never lack for a job.  You can work with mothers and babies in many different settings and choose which fits you best!